Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lenten Fellowship

I've noticed around the blog-o-sphere that a lot of folks will be cutting back for Lent. Whether it's no blogging at all, or no commenting, or limited blogging and commenting...


And while I agree that Lent is a time of turning inward, and assessing the use of one's time, I have decided that I am too weak to ignore and be ignored by this wonderful community of friends I have found.

I will (finally) be enlisting the use of Bloglines to alert me when one of my friends has waxed eloquent, instead of surfing through my massive list. (royal waste of time, I know) And I will have set times to check e-mail and blogs. Not too sure about my own writing. I tend to need to write when the thought strikes, or *poof* it's gone...

As far as my other Lenten resolutions, no sharing allowed. These are far more personal than my New Years' resolutions (which were... ???) and require a lot more prayer and concentration. Oh, and discipline.

Yikes.

Mark Shea says it wonderfully for me today at Catholic Exchange:
But the fact is we are called to observe Lent (like all things Christian), not as hermits who are separating themselves from the "impure" but as the Body of Christ growing "to the full maturity of Christ the head, through whom the whole body grows, and with the proper functioning of the members joined firmly together by each supporting ligament, builds itself up in love" (Ephesians 4:15-16)

So, let's stick together, shall we?

Have a Blessed and Holy Ash Wednesday.

5 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I have decided that I am too weak to ignore and be ignored by this wonderful community of friends I have found.

I am so with you, Sister.

I have felt my heart break just a little with every announcement of "I am not blogging or reading other people's blogs" because it is like losing a friend for six weeks.

It hurts.

I will be reading bloggings and posting. I don't know yet if I'll leave my comment box turned off. Today has been unbelievably hard, because I am an incredibly weak little creature.

What do you think?

nutmeg said...

I feel the same...

When I saw you closed your comments down, my heart dropped...

you too?

;)

But I understand, and this journey IS personal, so no judgements here, I promise!

Just shutting down the computer more is hard for me, so this time of silence from others will be hard for me too.

I'll be keeping the comments going, but will necessarily be learning to not expect much here (since others are taking a break) and that will be good for me...

good and hard, that is.

Persevere!

Erin said...

Just wanted to say I got Little Dear's letter yesterday afternoon. >Sob< Am keeping forever. Am framing and putting on wall. Is preshus.

:)

(Nice sheep-in-a-bow-tie, by the way!)

Anonymous said...

Oh my ... I posted a similar sort of response just today. I did take my comments off, but I am not sure how long that will last. I will be the first to admit that when I am down, I actually get sad when I have no comments on my posts ... pitiful, isn't it?

I am just trying to limit my computer use just a bit. I do love reading yours. When I visit here, I feel like you are someone that I would be friends with in real life ... a real Mommy, who isn't too far off from the life that I lead.

If you blog ... I will read!

Elaine

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I would agree, Nutmeg! I need this community in a way that I never expected. I took yesterday completely off except for posting in the early AM and then just checking email twice. I do plan on cutting down on the random surfing, but not the necessary! Friends like you gals are necessary in my book.