Thursday, February 05, 2009

Tribute To My Dad

Written by my brother...


Another Gaff in the Record Books; And It's Not a Bad Thing
Ask him about what he did as an athlete in college, and he’ll casually respond with,“I played soccer, football, baseball and ran track at HofstraUniversity.” What he won’t mention is the fact that in 1968 he was named the first All American soccer player at the school, and the only other soccer athlete to receive the honor since then was in 2006. He also won’t tell you he still holds the single season record for most goals scored (19). Those facts are usually eagerly disclosed by his wife, without a hint of question. His humility deserves canonization, and it’s taught me the greatest lessons not only in sports, but in life’s journey. He’s my Dad, Ed Gaffney; and he will be inducted into Hofstra University’s 2009 Hall of Fame class on Saturday, February 7th in Hempstead, NY.

“Tim, you won’t believe this! Guess how much they’re charging per person to attend this dinner and ceremony. It’s ridiculous!” I responded with a quizzical look, and an internal answer of—a mortgage payment?—“150 bucks just to get in!” he snapped. “I can’t believe people have to pay that just to attend!”

Well, I certainly would.

This is for my Dad, a man who will finally be honored by the university for all of his accomplishments on the field in the late 1960s. Along with being an All American in soccer, he also played football, baseball, and ran track. Can you say “breather”?! I can’t even think of an extended family having 4 sports in their blood, let alone one person playing that many. Take that, MJ!

“I don’t know why people are making such a big deal,” he told me during the conversation in the living room. “I’m just gonna have fun with it.” This is a guy that’s so humble he probably wouldn’t even take credit for his own signature!

The athlete known as “The Man” these days by the current athletic director and soccer coach at Hofstra continues his humility in the spotlight; but what he has is what every other professional superstar should have—and that’s a sense of class, humility, and integrity. He displays these everyday to us as family, and the people with which he interacts everyday at work. Intimidating with kindness, and charming with frown-busting smiles, he exemplifies humane greatness. And now he deserves the recognition and notoriety, if just for one night, for all the dedication he has shown to the sport he loves. He’s the only person I know besides my mother who has walked the walk for thousands of miles more than he’s talked it. He owns the cliché of leading by example. 19 goals in ’68? You kidding me? Tell me he trash-talked those balls past the goalkeeper’s ear.

Saturday night will be a time my Mom and Dad will go back in time to those years that made him a star. Wish I could have a front row seat to his mind and all the pictures that will go through it as the host reads off his accomplishments. I’ve heard stories from him, seen pictures, viewed old super-8 films, and looked in awe at the All-American badge he has mounted on the wall. But nothing will compare to the night my dad will be inducted into the Hofstra University Athletics Hall of Fame. I’ll be here in Colorado, glass in hand, with a toast to greatness.

Dad, 150 bucks isn’t nearly enough if they get to hear your story. Did you notice it’s been sold out for weeks now? Congratulations, Dad! You’re Hall of Fame in every aspect of life, and your son’s hero.




I'm bursting with pride at my Dad's accomplishments... both on the field and in our family. we all love him and our Mom dearly. To quote Portia... "My Dad? Yeah, he's a rock star."

:)

6 comments:

regan said...

how sweet.
i especially liked the last part-your son's hero.
congratulations.

Erin said...

This is awesome, 'meg. Thanks for sharing!

Go, Dad!

Sephora said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing.
So, are Mom and Dad going?

momto5minnies said...

OH WOW ... that is just so COOL! I can see how you are just beaming.

CONGRATULATIONS to your DAD!!!!!

nicole said...

Neat. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Has anyone said "WOW" yet? What an amazing story, and an amazing Dad ~ Thanks for sharing this. (Beautifully written, too. Kudos to your brothe!)