
I mentioned in a previous post that I was about to read The Shack for my IRL book club.
Here's the review:
Don't read it.
No, seriously. This book can be read on so many levels and is problematic on so many more, it's difficult to pin down the main problem. And that really is the main problem.
The premise of the book is that a Father loses his youngest daughter, who is abducted and murdered by a serial killer. Mack is tormented for years, in turns angry and depressed, while growing more and more distant from God. Until one day he gets an invitation from God, in his mailbox, inviting him back to the very shack where his daughter was murdered.
Mack arrives at this shack, where God, (a big black woman) greets him and gives him biscuits and corn dogs.
I'm kidding about the biscuits and corn dogs.
I'm not kidding about the big black woman.
Now, to be utterly fair, there is a reason that God poses as a big black woman, who hugs him and squeezes him and loves all over him. You see, Mack's own Dad was an abusive alcoholic and never lived up to the name "Papa". Not like God can, even if He is a big black woman.
The entire theme of the book is all about surrender. Of believing that really and truly? God has the controls and you just need to trust. And if you love and trust, your life will be more peaceful. "Papa" knows best. He doesn't will evil, but will bring good out of it, if only you will let Him.
Loving and trusting. Yes. But it begs the question: How?
Since Jesus of The Shack abhors organized religion, it appears that the only way to love and trust God is to repeat like a mantra : "I love and trust You, Lord... I love and trust You, Lord." There are no specific roads to travel here, now that Jesus of The Shack has declared that no, not all roads lead to Him, some roads do lead nowhere, BUT! He will travel any road to meet you.
Huh?
(I'm not even going to try to untangle the dichotomy of Sarayu, aka "The Holy Spirit" ... She was like a hippie mirage that floated everywhere leaving philosophical disasters in her wake. )
The redeeming quality (albeit extremely slight, in my opinion) is the vision of heaven that Mack is permitted to see. His daughter is supremely happy, and chooses not to let Mack embrace her. Here we see that the fullness of the eternal promise is sufficient for her. As it should be. There are no emotional strings being pulled here. (plenty elsewhere, I must say) And when Mack recovers her body, there is a true understanding that this shell is not her. So there is no grieving.
Amazing, almost C.S.Lewis-esque reasoning via The Great Divorce.
In a nutshell? This book is a typical "no need for religion, just look at those hypocrites who call themselves religious... all that is needed is to surrender to God, to love and be loved baby" work of fiction. The danger is that it is powerful emotionally. And the truths that are revealed are half-truths, making it seem a reality while also attempting to appeal to the intellect.
We discussed this book for quite awhile at my book club. It was a great read for that reason alone. My ability to split the hairs between truth and lie was greatly enhanced, and unfortunately, very necessary in order to navigate through the murky waters.
:)
4 comments:
Barb talked with me about this book and it made me curious about the author. Just reading this part of the author's bio made me stop and say Huh?...
...but the majority of my first decade was lived with my missionary parents in the highlands of Netherlands New Guinea (West Papua), among the Dani, a technologically stone age tribal people. These became my family and as the first white child and outsider who ever spoke their language, I was granted unusual access into their culture and community. Although at times a fierce warring people, steeped in the worship of spirits and even occasionally practicing ritualistic cannibalism, they also provided a deep sense of identity that remains an indelible element of my character and person. By the time I was flown away to boarding school at age 6, I was in most respects a white Dani.
I wouldn't think that Missionary parents would let their children "join" the pagan culture they were trying to convert and how much influence could the tribe have really had on a boy who left at the ripe old age of 6?
Do you think some authors these days are writing books for the sole purpose of impressing Oprah? This one sounds right up her alley!
I read this book back in November, I believe. It was loaned to me by our parish secretary. She loved it. I had many issues with it, and you very clearly pointed them out. I did appreciate the scene with the "Judge", when Mack was asked to pick which of his children would not go to Heaven. Otherwise, bleh.
I received this book for Christmas. In fact, my father-in-law thought it good enough to give everyone in the family a copy. Thanks for reviewing this book. Your review sums up everything that I've heard about it.
You dissected that quite well. I felt uneasy after reading this, but couldn't quite piece together all the things that "bothered" me.
Post a Comment