:)
Lil Sis is still here, and thriving. She has been studying a lot, and tells me that she really feels like a college student, stressing over tests instead of the inanities that sometimes accompany dorm life. We are all thrilled to have her here, and I wanted to touch on the unforeseen benefits of having another adult in the house.
Since she studies a lot, Lil Sis spends most of her time upstairs in her pea-sized room. I told her once that she is welcome to hang out and study downstairs... but then realized what I was saying and laughed. I ended up asking her if I could hang out up there with her.
:)
Every once in a while, I'll alert her that I need to run get the two littles from Montessori, and could she keep half an ear on the *erm*.... schoolwork that is being accomplished downstairs? She graciously agrees, and I'm off.
A few times, DH's schedule and my schedule will have a 10 min lag time, and she will also willingly step in to watch the kids. And, of course, her babysitting fees can't be beat when DH and I
But most of all, it is simply her presence up there in her room that provides the most help, unbeknownst to her.
You see, we now live in a two story house. This type of house is certainly haunted. Especially if you need to be upstairs in broad daylight, the sun streaming through all windows, and you are.... alone. I can't tell you how many times I or a sibling is recruited to escort some over-imaginative child to the second floor. It starts out as a, you know, casual request. Then there's a bit of taunting about being scared... then there's the reminder that uh, buddy? You were just as scared 30 minutes ago! And then the inevitable fight.
Not anymore.
The mention of a need to ascend the dreaded staircase alone is immediately met with my cheery response that Auntie Lil Sis is upstairs, and they go happily skipping up up and away.
Yes, I admit that I have sometimes used this ploy to get them to go up even if she's not there. I figure that the chances of the purple-people-eater showing up at those rare times is pretty slim. And if he does, my kids should be able to scream loud enough to alert me in time. Lil Sis usually has her ear phones in anyway.
Now I just need to figure out where these over-active imaginations come from.
:)
1 comment:
I'm happy to know my kids aren't the only ones who need an armed escort to go to another room in the house!
Post a Comment