Sunday, February 15, 2009

On A Roll

The previous weekend's dinner party debacle has sparked an overhaul in the Nut House weekly menu planning.

I had been in a serious rut, as if the only recipes in the world were already in my rolodex and we'd just have to deal with the endless cycle of beef stew, chicken and rice casserole, and hamburgers. Really and truly, I was tired of cooking. Period.

Enter the wonders of google and allrecipes.com.

Anything I remotely had the inkling to make, I would search on allrecipes, turning to the vastness of google if the former did not reveal the results I desired.

A whole world has been opened up to me.

Last week we embarked on a whirlwind tour of my pantry and the internet. The biggest flop was the apple pork chops (meat and fruit doth not mixeth in the Nut House) The best by far was the flavored rice... gotta love a recipe where the directions are "place all ingredients in rice cooker, turn on."

We had crock pot Butter Beef complete with darling Suzanne's bread. My favorite spring mix salad recipe with feta, apples, red onion and raspberry vinagrette became a staple, and I even found time to make a few treats for Valentines Day. (using the leftover chocolate for strawberry dipping, or finger dipping...)

It's been an adventure, a great way to wile away the chilly afternoons. And the kids, while still a bit wary of the "new" dinners coming at them, are pleased overall with the results.

The next problem to be tackled? Getting enough exercise to justify eating all of this yummy-ness.

:)

1 comment:

nicole said...

I've been in a cooking rut too. Problem is, I don't even have the desire to try anything new. I'm feeling all tired and burned out. But you have encouraged me to get things going again.