DH has begun a very messy and time-consuming project, which has reduced the number of available commodes in the house to one.
The number of children and adults using this one commode has not decreased in any way, and, in fact, shows signs of increasing as Little Love continues to exhibit signs of "potty readiness."
Yes, we need to hurry, but at least we both know this and are not bound to a contractor's schedule. DH is very brave to do this, armed only with a Home Depot "Do it Yourself" book, and some basic knowledge about tiling a floor.
I am very excited about the master bathroom being re-modeled. There is something soothing about having your own bathroom as a place of loveliness and retreat, instead of wincing every time you enter, noticing the cracked linoleum and rotting baseboards. It is the only room in the house that hasn't been touched since the house was built.
My part in all of this is the after-dinner dishes. What, you say? Yes, DH usually cleans the dishes and the kitchen after every dinner, which is no small task. (I am not the neatest cook) And last night, my duties doubled since it was bath night, and so I was running back and forth from the kitchen to the bathroom, whilst DH drilled the new studs into the shower walls.
And so, I can rightfully claim that we are both working hard on this renovation project.
It is a labor of love.
4 comments:
Have him give my husband a call if he needs to. We just did our children's bathroom and the powder room in August. We did not tile the floors ourselves, but that was the only thing we didn't do. Walls (texture and paint), new cabinets and coutertops, the works.
I am a messy cook as well. O.H. can't decide if he likes it when I cook or not, due to the mess. He cleans up sometimes, but not all the time. Sometimes he just cleans the main pan and seems to think that completes the job. Why does he think that?
Ahhhh......I'm having nightmaric flashbacks having looked at your husband's photos. In 2000, we bought a fixer-upper and the WORST room was the lone bathroom. We couldn't afford a contractor, and hubby had a full-time job plus his part-time National Guard job. It took him THREE years to do it (he's a perfectionist of the first order). I took a bath for a whole year when he ripped out the walls around the tub (kept the tub, since it was in great condition). And he wanted to kill me when I insisted that he make not one, but two, tiled shelves in the tub surround walls. He had never tiled - vertically or horizontally - before. When he was done, it was the BEST looking room in the house. I wanted to host a party in there.
Tip for fast dinner clean-up: simpler meals or meals you can make earlier and clean up before dinner (like oven-baked something all in one dish).
Ditto what Michelle said about making things earlier (except I can't follow my own advice; if I start dinner earlier, then my kitchen is just messier for longer!), and also, making lasanga and casserole, line the dish with tinfoil; it is then easier to package up leftovers, and also an eaiser cleanup! (Just make sure DH knows that there is foil to remove before he throw something into the microwave at work!!!!)
Oh, by the way...TAG!
Post a Comment