
With all of the sickness going around our house right now, "The Loveliness of Romance” is not really on my mind…
How about “The Loveliness of Zyrtec?”
Or, “The Loveliness of steamed Albuterol in $200 nebulizers?”
Not very romantic, I admit. But certainly what’s on my mind these days.
Come to think of it, though, I guess a certain kind of romance is keeping me here, amidst the coughing and stuffy noses. Yes, of course it’s my love for my kids that restrains me from running off to the Bahamas… But I think the real reason is the commitment I made to my best friend 10 years ago.
To love, honor, and obey him, until death do us part.
Andrew and I met our freshman year in college. I was instantly attracted to his curly long black hair, and his opaque blue eyes. He was tall and handsome, and confident. I was determined to get to know him better. We started dating in October of freshman year, one month after we met. And we dated all four years.
As we grew closer, and our rough edges wore away the other’s, our love became a decision, a constant commitment, and not just a feeling. I couldn’t imagine being without him. And, in one romantic outburst, he told me:
When I’m looking for a wife, I’m not looking for someone I can live with. I’m looking for someone I can’t live without. And I think I found her.
To me, that is exactly what romance is about. The feeling and knowledge that you have found the person you were looking for. And, as you live out your married life together, the absolute assurance that God created the two of you to journey your path to heaven as one. As the years go by, it becomes more and more obvious how perfect God is, how all-knowing and all-wise. Just how did Andrew know I needed those flowers, that hug, or that loving (ahem) challenge?
Romance is comfort, contentment, and quiet peace (even in and around the chaos of sickness) all year long...
11 comments:
Oh, Nutmeg, that was lovely! :) Thank you for sharing it; it lifted my spirits! Phil and I have a similar relationship ourselves...what a blessing!
Wow! What a great story. Truly lovely!
What a beautiful reminder of the true meaning of romance! Thank you!
This is beautiful, Nutmeg, even in the midst of coughs and sneezes! I remember your courtship, and I remember it just as beautiful as you describe.
Wow I love posts like that. A great way to start valentine week. (And it goes so well with your new blog color scheme!)
I too started dating my husband one month into my freshman year (he was an older sophomore, though). By Thanksgiving break I went home and told my bst girlfriend that this was the guy I was going to marry...and we did, 6 years later on the anniversary of our first "date".
Love is grand! when God is in the mix.
I love this entry. I think I'm going to blog about how I feel about love and my marriage and all that (but wait until Friday b/c that is our anniversary).
What a sweet story!
Very sweet!!! Hope the sickness clears out soon...
Love,
Heather
How wonderfully SWEET! Even with all that joyful chaos, there is great love to keep it all together ... what an amazing blessing.
Post a Comment