There was this one... where we braved the insane blizzards and set out on our first (of many) 12 hour treks to the snowy mountains of Colorado to spend the holidays with my family.
And then the latest one, complete with our move, wherein we were "homeless" for the holidays, and spent weeks at my parents' home (surprised we are still on speaking terms!) caught the stomach flu, and landed on the doorstep of our new home after the New Year.
Last year, we opted to stay put... for two reasons. First, it would be our first Christmas in our new home, and we wanted to take full advantage. Secondly, our kids were tired of never seeing their friends over the break. Family is loads of fun, but when you return just in time for all of your school friends to go back to school... it's a bummer. So, we regaled the holidays in true Nut House style. We decorated every blessed inch of our new digs, had another family over for Christmas dinner, and visited with many of our friends. It was lovely.
This year is an "off" year for the extended family. Y'all know what that means, right? When the married siblings are off at their in-laws for Christmas, since it is "their" turn to see the kids and grandkids. So, much to the dismay of my kids, we will not be traveling this year either. We will be waiting until next year to fill my parents' home to the bursting, in order that all the siblings and grandkids can
It is a bit surreal, in these last days before Christmas, to be wandering outside in short sleeves and jeans, cleaning up the yard, calling to the kids to put their bikes away... sweating in the kitchen with the fans on, and not packing or driving, or planning outings in the snow. We do have plans for a Christmas morning fire in the fireplace... lows in the 20s... brrr!
Our Christmas dinner will be just us. DH is concerned, his eyes searching mine, to make sure I will not melt on Christmas Day, with the lack of busy-ness and bustle. He knows me well. We shall see. (If you get a last-minute invitation, don't be too surprised! LOL) But I have a feeling I will be just fine. We can do our own bustling pretty well.
:)
We chose this life. And I do love it dearly. I love my family and I miss them. I love my friends and am so grateful to be traveling this journey with them.
I feel so very blessed.
Merry Merry Christmas to you all!
2 comments:
Merry Christmas...and I'm more than a tad envious of your anticipated quiet. ;-)
(my word verification is "baker" which I am, today)
You are making your own memories and traditions and doing it with lots of love and laughter!!! :) Next year will come and then it will be a bit crazy....we will live in the now moment of this year and enjoy the wonder and awe of it all! Love to you all...!
Post a Comment