Tuesday, December 15, 2009

And Then This Thing Called LIFE Got In The Way...

So, yes. I am about to eat humble pie. I'm finding the taste to be quite palatable. Especially when it's become such a staple.

:S


That last post? With all the I'm going to make my kids remember the Saints and their feast days with lots of crafts and baking spiel?

It didn't happen.

First of all, I had quite a few discussions with wonderful friends, the first of whom e-mailed me and talked me down from the ledge. I need to find what is best for our family, she tells me.

Well, duh, I thought.

But then I realized that I was neglecting to do just that. I was seeing what others were doing and comparing. Bad. Very bad. And I've railed against that beast before. What the heck was I doing?

Secondly, I simply did not have time. And why? Because our family activities got in the way. Now, how ironic of a statement is that?

Saturday evening we went to a beautiful First Communion ceremony for the son of new (and becoming very close) friends of ours here in town. Then we had way too much fun at their house, sharing dinner with them and the pastor of their church. (Who we know... since he had been the pastor of our old parish way back when) My kids had an awesome time with their kids, and we didn't get home until after 10pm. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Sunday was lovely, with made-from-scratch pancakes, tree decorating, and our Nativity Play potluck dinner with 4 other families. No buns or St. Lucy bread. Little Dear corralled the girls and made the crowns all on her own (so! proud! of her!) while I made a cake and put together a vegetable tray for the dinner. The fire was crackling in the fireplace and Christmas songs (both the obnoxious and the bearable) crooned throughout the house.

The story sheets of St. Juan Diego and Our Lady of Guadalupe were spread around the house as the various kids picked them up and read them. A few coloring pages were completed. The St. Lucy crowns were assembled and worn. All while some very old, established, Nut House family traditions were fostered.

While I know that my children need to be closer to the saints, and I am determined to find a way, I understand now that that way will be unique to us. Every family is different. Different temperaments and talents. I need to do some more thinking. And breathing. Because, you know? Breathing is good.

:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At some point in their lives, maybe much later, your children will learn that they were reared by two saints.

KC said...

Life always gets in the way of my best intentions. I'm still learning to roll with the punches.

nutmeg said...

Absolutely, KC. I've apparently got a long way to go.

Oh, and that Anon comment up there?
Clearly, my Mom.
:P

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mom!

Barbara said...

Your mom is awesome!

No need to eat humble pie -- unless, of course, you enjoy the taste. Life does get in the way and it's only when we get cranky and frustrated that we mess things up. I've been trying to get lights on the Christmas tree for four days. I finally got most up -- except the ones that don't work and for that we need a trip to the store. Life!

nutmeg said...

Oops. Apparently that Anon was my Dad, a faithful reader and rare commenter.
Thanks, Dad!
:)

Cranky and frustrated... that's exactly it, Barbara. I decided not to go that route this time. And it was a lovely weekend. Scrap the plans and go with the flow. We had a great time.
:)

momto5minnies said...

Our moms didn't have the stress that I so many of us TODAY do. Where there may have been a visit to a house, a telephone call, or a run in at the store; we SEE and READ each day all the wonderful things done in other people's time. Sometimes that is a lot to live up to.

I have guilt everyday of not doing enough and in the time frame I think it should be done in. It's not my favorite part of ME.