Yes.
Still.
Now.
I love these ideas. And, unbeknownst to me, I have been practicing them since the New Year began! How is that? Well... I've had the stomach flu.
:P
Seriously, there is nothing like a nasty virus that knocks you on your back to make a person slow down and think. Think about what is truly necessary, what is truly important, and what really and truly must be accomplished to survive the day. Luckily for me, DH did all of what needed to be done, and I got the luxury of moaning and reading and playing speed with Little Love.
I practiced "Yes" when she asked me to play and read stories and snuggle. (why that child has not gotten sick is beyond me... keeping my fingers crossed!) I practiced "Still" for two entire days. I was exhausted (dehydrated, more like it) dizzy and incredibly woozy.( I'm still not 100%, this is going to take awhile.) So, my "stillness" will not be a fleeting thing. The "Now" is ongoing. DH took the rest of the kids to a hockey game today (Little Boo went in my stead) and I got to say "Yes" to all of Little Love's whims of going out to lunch and visiting a few playgrounds before settling at home with a movie. At each stop, the "Now" was constant. Little Love is a chatter box, and a delightful one at that. We were in eternal conversation-mode, and it was lovely. I had no choice but to be completely present... and it was interesting, since I am not used to focusing on one child/event at a time. Like other moms, I multi-task quite well... what a concept this was!
Am I changed? A bit. I think every new experience alters a person's perspective. Have I changed forever? Ah, the Pollyanna in me wishes that were the case! But, I know myself, my tendencies... don't we all?
And here's the key... for me, at least. I know me. He knows me. In fact, He knows me better than I ever will. So, no-one, except He (and me) will ever ever be able to change me. And that is where my focus needs to be if I will ever exact a change from these stubborn old bones. Nothing new? Of course not. Read Ecclesiastes 1:9.
There's nothing new under the sun.And so we begin. I begin. To find my way.
To say Yes.
To practice Still.
To be Now.
And probably mess it all up royally along the way.
;P
But He knows.
And He will help.
Because He is all that matters in the end.
And there is an awful lot of comfort in that.
:)
1 comment:
Hope you're feeling great again soon. I am trying to be in the here and now as well, which is easy when you have lots of company around! Happy New Year, sweet lady!
Post a Comment