Monday, January 04, 2010

Recuperating

This stomach bug has really thrown me for a loop. I've never felt so awful, except when in my first trimester... and alas, no, I am not experiencing that thrill this time around. How I wish! My system is totally out of whack. I think I dehydrated myself unknowingly. How weird that the Mama should fall victim to the very thing she worries about with her own kids regarding this bug! And you know what? This rehydration process is long and arduous. I'll never make this mistake again.

All of the organizing and de-cluttering I had planned for the home school room hasn't happened. We waded through the mess of toys and markers and papers to dig out our books and notebooks in getting back to it today. My kids are used to this, unfortunately, and I find that persevering in our studies despite the mess has it's advantages. My house will always need cleaning. And while I used to sacrifice a school day to restore order to our home, I've learned my lesson that it's never worth it. By the end of the day, the house will need to be tidied yet again, and we've lost a day of learning.

Laundry is my main accomplishment these days. Funny how the New Year is rung in, in much the same way the old one is rung out. And (heh heh) I am already feeling wrung out. (sorry, couldn't resist...) But it's the little things done, the baby steps taken, that satisfy my inner Martha. And, finally, at the end of the day, my realistic expectations of myself and my kids are what bring peace and order to the day.

It's all about perspective, isn't it? The fact that I have already lost it on my kids this morning what with all the moaning and groaning of the new school week. The same old gripes and the same old downfalls... it's tiring and exactly what I was dreading about today. All these things are part of the picture here, but not the focus. Heaven help us if it were. I'd never be able to continue.

It's the sweetness between Little Love and Little Boo, the ah-ha moment that Sports Fan had in Math today, the ease in which Little Dear picked up long division after the even longer break, and the perseverance Action Man showed as he tried (in vain... ;) to straighten his crooked letters, out of practice and rusty from too many days spent frolicking, void of paper and the ever-exacting pencil. But, he labored, and patiently I praised his efforts. We must not be defeated this first day back.

There must be enough hope and effort left to last. Enough care and love to be renewed and enough patience to make it...

At least until dinner time, eh?

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers...wish we lived closer...love to all and tons of prayers...:)

Aimee said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! I am feeling low myself, after having eaten something that had apparently "turned" the night before. Ugh.

Happy New Year - I feel the same about so much of what you write :)

momto5minnies said...

Sorry you had a stomach bug get in the way of your plans. Still, it sounds like you are making the best of it and moving along. Hope you are 100% soon enough.