Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Living in a Third World Country Part II

In the humid and close mornings, Geckos scattered over the floor and walls as we wakened. At first, I was startled by these little lizards, appalled to think that my mother tolerated their presence in her home. When questioned, she shrugged her shoulders and explained that they were a natural mosquito repellent. After that, I was very careful about where I stepped and even regarded those little creatures as friends.

After our morning showers, we would all pile in our car (a very old sedan, no A/C). Since there were 7 of us, there were not enough seat belts. A very real problem here in the U.S. but not even a consideration there. I didn't say a word, but pulled one of my little sisters onto my lap to make room. Off we went to the church "compound" where my siblings went to school and my parents worked with the Bishop.

One day, my mom took me to the "marketplace" downtown. If you were to look in a National Geographic magazine that pictured marketplaces in Africa, the same would apply here. I was really enjoying myself, looking at all the exotic fruits and even purchasing a few to try. My favorite was a round spiky fruit called Rambutan. When you peeled it, there revealed a milky white slippery fruit which you popped into your mouth, being careful not to bite the pit. It was incredibly sweet and juicy.

What I wasn't prepared for, was the raw meat section of the market, located under the tents. There was no refrigeration, and the stench was unbelievable. My mom led me past the barrels of fish and, noticing my wrinkled nose and gagging mouth, warned me not to offend by my expressions. I pasted a smile on my face and tried not to throw up. We purchased our chicken, and I watched in amazement (and I hope, not horror) as the smiling woman whacked the head off the hanging whole chickens and handed them to my mom who placed them into her bag, paid, and walked serenely away.

I helped my mom carry our goods to a waiting tricycle (small motorcycle with a sidecar) and we zoomed home.

I'm pretty sure she held on to the chickens...

:)

No comments: