
I grew up by the ocean. Summertime for me meant early morning trips to Jones Beach, the crisp air blowing off the ocean contrasting with the heat on my face from the bright sun and the burning on my feet from the hot sand.
The sound of the waves crashing would mingle in harmony with the cry of the seagulls. I loved the beach in the morning. At 8am, there would be no one there but us.
And being an only child at the time, I had free reign over the pails and shovels. I would work quietly and diligently, creating my castles, and searching for treasures to use for decoration.
My parents have many stories about me from those beach days: The time I almost got swept away by an errant wave. (*lesson learned, NEVER stand with your back to the ocean) The time they lost me because I had followed the tracks of a dune buggy along the length of the shore. I would trudge along, head down, intently squishing the hard tracks of sand with my feet. I can still feel the sand crunching between my toes.
And now, residing here in North Texas, my family is hopelessly land-locked. We have available to us many man-made lakes and chlorinated pools. Sun and water will always be a favorite in our family. A perfect combination, meant to be ~since Time began.
But.
Whenever we get the chance, whether it be the warm Atlantic, or the mighty Pacific, we head to the ocean. To hear the gulls and feel the sun and savor the sand.
And listen to the laughter of our children above all...
:)
4 comments:
The one big thing that I remember about the beaches in NY (and NJ) was that you NEEDED to get there super early. The beaches would get really crowded ... every umbrella would start to look the same by lunchtime.
I love the beach. Someday I hope that I will live closer to one, but for now I am so, SO thankful to have family in all the right places ;)
What great memories. Thanks for sharing.
I would miss being near some sort of shore too. Thanks for sharing your memories.
I grew up on the opposite coast and have great memories, mostly of my teen years laying on the beach. I miss it, too.
Post a Comment