Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Frumpy Black Bear

With the temperatures the next few days being highs in the upper 30's or lower 40's, I've got this chill in my bones that I can't shake. Trust me, I've tried, with my teeth chattering all the way. And all of you up north, go ahead and laugh. I used to laugh myself silly at those wimpy southerners while enduring sub-zero temps even, but no more. I am that thin-blooded southerner now.

And it shows.

I have been walking around our house wearing DH's black fleece pullover all day, everyday. Needless to say, the effect is less than flattering. I feel like a big black mama bear. But I am so very warm.

Whenever DH threatens to move me back north, I threaten to buy myself 5 more of these monstrous articles of clothing, all colors of the rainbow! A girl has to have some variety in her wardrobe, after all.

:)

And so, here is the black bear roaming the house these days:


















And here are her oh-so-cute paws, purchased to fulfill the need of color and to foster the always-enduring hope of Spring and warmer days ahead:

















Stay warm, y'all!

14 comments:

Randi said...

Ha! I have been sporting a knitted scarf around the house all day! Maybe I should dig something out of my hubbys closet too since temps are dropping this week!

Erin said...

I've been wearing an old sweater of my mother-in-law's for about three months now. It's worn and full of holes, but it's CASHMERE and oh-so-warm!!

:)

Phil Halpin said...

You look great! Stay warm! :)

M

teresa said...

I have been wearing my hubby's gray one of those (and we live north, far north...) And I look even more ridiculous being 33 weeks prego. Oh, and I am wearing pink crocs (with wool socks.) I should post a picture on my blog! But I still ahven't figured out how to link, so I couldn't explain the inspiration...

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Oh my goodness, 'Meg! You could be my sister in this photo! We are both sporting a similar hair-cut, are both brunettes, and are both snug as a bug in our husband's fleece!

I'm with you. These cold, cold days are killers! I think I might be thyroidally challenged...

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Frumpy? I think not! You are a drop dead gorgeous mama. You should be on the cover of a magazine! Stay warm.

Kristen Laurence said...

When I'm cold in the house I wear an identical huge fleece pullover belonging to my husband, but it's grey. My neighbor even commented on it once when I walked outside to get the mail! (Don't ask me what she said. I won't tell.)

Emily said...

Hey, at this time of year, it's all about staying warm. Fashion comes second. :) My boyfriend is a thin-blooded Southern, too, and is always going around in his black fleece. I have yet to succumb to that. :) I am a tough Ohioan!
BTW, love the crocs. :) I need to get a pair.

nutmeg said...

You all are so funny. Thank you for not laughing at my wimpy-ness. I'm glad I'm in such good company with my fashion statement! (dying to know what your neighbor said, Kristen!)

Lrlwreath, I have to take a bath or shower every night...b/c by that point my nose is frozen and my teeth-chattering is out of control.

And Matilda, I think the only magazine cover I'd get on would be one of those "hunting" or "outdoor" ones...or maybe playboy for bears??

:)

momto5minnies said...

I followed you over from Margaret's blog. I am also a removed northeast girl who is now in the state of AR. I know my skin has thinned BIG TIME!
Yesterday I wore the cutest GAP fleece sweatshirt in size L (I am normally small) with my snazzy looking CROCS. When you are cold, fashion really gets thrown out the window ;)

nutmeg said...

Mom to 5, Thanks for stopping by! Today I feel a bit more stylish in my Old Navy fleece sweatshirt....

We homeschooling moms have the life, don't we?

;)

Michelle said...

They've had fleece on sale at both LL Bean and Lands End. I was so mad that a quarter zip pullover in a lovely shade of orchid disappeared in between the two hours from when it went into the shopping cart and the time I actually got around to placing the order!

I only have it cold here in the morning to get me out the door. The rest of the day, I walk around bundled up and complaining of a draft and looking at the thermostat convinced it's broken.

Emily said...

Michelle-
I am going for one of the blue fleeces at LL Bean as soon as I get paid tomorrow. It's going to be between 14-19 degrees this weekend for a high. I may even pay for rush shipping. This is just ridiculous.

Suzanne Temple said...

You look terrific!