...for an American History "textbook", well more like a storybook that would be interesting for DS #1 (3rd grade).
We started out this year with "How Our Nation Began" from Emmanuel books. DS #1 took one look at it and informed that he did it last year in school. (Oh, right, your school was one year ahead of each grade.....silly me I forgot. Argh.....I could do a whole post on that. Anyway) And so I was thinking about using the 4th grade history book from Emmanuel books. It's "Our Pioneers and Patriots". And then Kolbe has a great "Atlas of American History" that has tons of maps that help to illustrate battles, immigration tendencies, civil war boundaries, etc.
There is so much out there!
Anyone else have any other recommendations?
Thanks!
4 comments:
Seton has one called The Catholic Faith Comes to the Americas. Master Oldest Boy is in 3rd grade and we are doing Texas History using an old textbook called True Tales of Texas by Bertha Mae Cox. I acquired mine through an online used book search (Alibris, I think). If you are not from Texas you may not know that children in school here are required to have at least 2 years of Texas History (4th and 7th grade, unless it has changed). This book is very much a storybook/textbook and serves as a great jumping off point. While it is not Catholic, it is written from a Christian perspective and is not anti-Catholic in fact they treat the Franciscan missionaries with great respect.
Ladies
Need your help. Both my kids 6 & 5 years) have had fillings, and my daughter just had a root canal today. Did this level of major dental happen when we were kids?
A root canal and fillings on baby teeth?
If you don't mind posting on my site, I'd like to know your opinions. Sorry to change the subject. Thanks very much.
We are using Our Pioneers and Patriots in the sixth grade! Actually, that's my fault--it would have been better in fifth grade, and the companion book, The Old World and America, in sixth. But I really wanted to do world history last year, and now we're stuck in this slightly backward mode with daughters one and two! Daughter three will be able to do them in the 'right' order.
I like OPaP so far, but I have to admit that the thought of using it with a third grader would be intimidating. It is 494 pages long, and its 12 units are divided into 55 chapters. At the end of each chapter are writing assignments, activities and a quiz/test, all of which assume that the child is capable of doing things like "Write a paragraph about early Spanish missionaries. Be sure to tell a)Why they came to the New World, b)the tasks they had to learn, and c)their work." (From the fifth chapter's assignments.) So although it would certainly be possible to tailor the activites and tests to make them possible for a third grader, I think it might be better to save this book to use a little later--unless, of course, your son is one of those children who loves to write and is ahead of his grade level in writing assignments.
My children have used the My World of Neighbors geography book in the fourth grade. We bought that from Our Lady of Victory school. It has worked fairly well at that grade level, and I think it could work in third grade as well.
Thanks for the heads-up, eC. There is no way DS #1 would be able to handle that.
CMW, I cannot wait until we do Texas History! I taught it when I taught 4th grade, and it was amazing. Being a transplant from up north, it helped me understand why Texans were so proud of their state. It made me proud to live here!
CM, I will be over shortly, and may even be able to enlist the expertise of my brother-in-law, who is a dentist.
Post a Comment