Saturday, September 09, 2006

Attractions

DD #1 is 6 years old. She and her brothers are obsessed with Star Wars. Specifically, these days, with Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Now, before you think we just turned on the movie for them and walked away, let me explain that they have seen approximately one-eighth of the film. Just the battle scenes, and only three of those. Nothing else.

I can really see more about the personality of my children when they reveal to me who is their favorite character in these types of movies.

DS #1: (ever the adventuresome one) Anakin, but only before he turns to the dark side. (again, they never saw him as Lord Vader, they just *know* it happens)

DS #2: (ever the sensible, attracted to the good) Obi-Wan, no question about it. Feels disdain for those who disagree.

DD #1: (ever the romantic one) Anakin, and she likes to pretend that Pad-me changes his mind about going to the dark side.

DD #2: (see all previous posts about her) Chewbacca, need there be an explanation?

DD #3: Leia, she's too little to actually say, but she always grabs Leia away from whoever is playing with her.


DD #1's choice got me thinking. It made me realize how similar she and I are. You see, as a goody-two-shoes for my entire life, I was naturally attracted to guys that were not. Luckily, since I was/am such a goody-two-shoes, I never got burned. I had crushes on, and/or dated guys in high school who wore earrings, were jocks and had cars. (a big thing back in my day, in my high school)

And when I met DH in college....he was the wildest-looking one there! He had this hair like Robert Smith from The Cure, crazy-trendy clothes, and a bit of a "devil-may-care" attitude. He was athletic, and fit, and fun. And I was immediately attracted to him.

The funny thing is, he was immediately attracted to me because he thought, "now, here is girl who can straighten me out..." So, while I was looking for some fun, he was looking for some life-altering improvements. And so, we balanced each other perfectly.

I was (am) lucky. You see, God took what I was attracted to, and turned it into me finding my soul-mate for life. He took a guy who was a bit of a "rebel" in my eyes, made him come from an awesome family that brought him up in the sacraments. And so, I was neither burned nor disappointed. My DH has lots of fun stories to tell and experiences to share ("war stories"....I'm sure there are a few I haven't heard...) yet he ends up being this rock-solid amazing husband and father.

Now there's a combination you don't come across too often.

I have high hopes for DD #1. May God bless her as abundantly as He has me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My kids have seen the original first two now called Episodes 4 & 5 along with the first of the new series Episode 1, I guess. Some time after seeing Episode 1 we were walking through the big red superstore that doesn't seem to have any employee dress codes or grooming requirements. Miss First Girl saw a young shelf stocker who had blond hair down to his mid-back that was in a half pony tail. Once we passed she looked at me with a very girlie, kittenish smile and said with a giggle, "Qui Gon Jin". I told my husband to be prepared for what she brings home.

He says, "As long as he's Catholic".