Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Whole New World

As my "baby" turns two in a few weeks, I am constantly amazed at how quickly the time is passing. Yes yes, you say, babies grow up so fast, I've heard that before. And so have I! But I have never experienced it fully, b/c usually by this time, there is a newborn to tend to, and the cycle has started all over again. And so the "used to be baby" has been replaced and we eagerly tend to and watch the new baby develop and grow, while helping a long the now-toddler achieve new goals and feats of independence.

My "baby" is now that toddler. And there isn't one coming up right behind her.

Not yet anyway.

There are a lot of joys, and a lot of challenges in dealing with this age so intensely. Our little Mae is quite the talker. She says the funniest things...or maybe they are funny because she is so little and it sounds funny coming from her in her pre-two-year-old voice. My favorites:

"too tight!" (when putting big sister's goggles on)

"Anakin, *swish swish* fi-ight" (commentary on Star Wars)

"boys, *swish swish* fi-ight" (boys and their light sabers)

"too much!" (when helping herself to water)

"dank u" (thank you)

"dorry, Mama" (sorry)


Some of my not-so-favorites: (all self-explanatory)

"no. Ma-ma!"

"Okay, pee pee" (compliments of DD #2 thankyouverymuch)

"wait, wait!"

"I do! I do!"

And this last one has challenges all it's own. I need to allow an extra 5 minutes to go anywhere, since she is all independence when it comes to getting on her shoes, "wrong feet?" getting herself into her car seat, "I will!" and sitting down.

Luckily, I still get to do the actual buckling, or I'd have to give it an extra 20 minutes.

Oh! And my favorite?

"Night night, Mama!"

1 comment:

Katherine@Raising Five said...

She is precious! I'm watching my "baby" grow up, too. Sad and happy all at once. Your little Mae is beautiful.