Life in a Nutshell
...when it comes to maple syrup. I have written about this before.
We used to buy our 100% pure maple syrup at Sam's Club. It was $11.00/ half gallon, and that was the best deal going. Well, it seems that Sam's no longer carries it anymore, and I have had to resort to the cheap-o stuff. And as a result, been unable (really, un-able not unwilling...) to stomach eating pancakes ever since.
Then! I remembered my very resourceful French Canadian Mother-in-law who has been known to (but don't quote me here) take chainsaws to walls in order to have doors where she wants to; or disassemble entire dishwashers to find the part that is broken, (some obscure wire or somesuch) take it to the local "junky parts store", use their welder to mold it back together and then put it all back, turning on the dishwasher (now running smoothly), declaring to all that she just fixed the appliance herself for a whopping 50 cents! (Canadian, of course...)
But I digress.
Maple syrup. Right.
My amazing Mother-in-law makes her own maple syrup. And I, the big MS snob, actually like it! And so, yesterday, while DH made MIL's bread doughnut recipe, I made MIL's maple syrup recipe. And it was delicious!
Here it is:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup water
stir over med heat until sugar is dissolved
add 1 cup white suger
2 tbsp maple flavor
2 tbsp corn syrup
stir over med heat until dissolved
YUM.
;)
2 comments:
Do you have Costco in your city?
Yes, near where DH works. We used to have a membership, but we don't use it that much. I don't even know if it's been renewed recently, come to think of it...
Post a Comment