Tuesday, November 18, 2008

When Company is Coming...

You certainly don't blog.

You definitely don't Facebook or Twitter.

You do decide to host Bunco at your home the evening your guests are arriving, figuring that if they arrive around 11pm, you should be able to kick your friends out by 10:30... right?

You spend countless hours finagling the upstairs to accommodate sleeping arrangements for 4 adults and 11 children... thinking that it would be best to leave the downstairs free for endless playtime and chat time.

You wash the windows of your home, inside and out, at 7:30 am because in your world, that is the highest priority.

You also decide to re-cover the cushions of the window seat in the home school room, and make two pillows to match. Again with the priorities. And not having accomplished that yet is giving you anxiety attacks.

And even though your guests will only be here for 4 days, baking breakfast breads and desserts, and shopping and assembling meals ahead of time is a must. Your pantry hearkens back to the Y2K days.

Your home looking like three tornadoes have set up shop, you ignore the mess and the lists of duties and blog.

Because you know that only your blogging friends can fully appreciate this priority, and they alone will be able to affirm this utmost necessity. And possibly be able to relate to the madness that overtakes a hostess's brain.

:)

5 comments:

Nikki said...

I am with you today... When you have a social worker coming to dinner to finalize adoption papers, who needs to bother with a clean house and meal preparation? Blogging and obsessing over packing lists is certainly more important.

Have fun with your full house. It sounds like you are in for a great few days.

Aimee said...

mmm . . . the dreaded Hostess Brain Syndrome. I have suffered from it many times.

In fact, I think I'm coming down with a case of it right now. We are the Thanksgiving hosts this year, but of course no one can celebrate Thanksgiving if my storage room, which no one will even think about seeing on turkey day, is not completely organized.

Plus, if I run out of time for the kids to make those really cute tepee napkin rings, then Thanksgiving will be ruined. Ruined, I say!

Never mind the fact that I don't even have the turkey for the meal.

But man, our napkins will rock some Native American napkin rings!

A long winded way of saying, I feel you! :)

nicole said...

Makes perfect sense to me. ;-)

texasmama said...

You crack me up! I soooo understand...
It is the same syndrome that makes me think that I really should re-organize the linen closet so that I can homeschool better!?!
Lisa I

momto5minnies said...

My husband always laughs when I decide to clean the most obscure thing. HE's always asking me "WHY?"

Have fun with your very full house.