Monday, July 07, 2008

Dog Days

It's summertime in Texas, and you know what that means!

We're getting out the board games.

I've written before how backwards our seasons seem to be. Every year, it's still a bit of a shock to feel true 100 degree heat beating through the car windows, wilting my very soul.

We're re-discovering the joys (?!) of Monopoly, Chutes and Ladders, Uno, and Hi-Ho-Cherry-O. We're remembering that there's nothing like a rousing card game of Speed. The "Homeschool Room" has become the playroom for the summer. Clay, paint, scissors, glue and marker projects abound. Gerbil mazes litter the floor, accompanied by many costumes and even a rock band drum set made of pots , pans and an orange Home Depot bucket.

Netflix has never been used so voraciously.

We have become hermits.

And yet, I still need to feel the sun on my face. Yes, even the 100 degree sun. And so we spend a lot of time in water. The pool, the water parks, the lake, the bath tub and the shower. Water has never felt so necessary as it does these days.

To all of my Northern friends, enjoy your summer. Revel in your backyard bbq's, baseball games and picnics. Glory in your bike rides and rollerblading escapades. Us southerners will just sit in our A/C boxes and live vicariously through your pictures and fun times as you plan events that are not even on our radar for at least 3 more months.

And we will wait for our chance at summer.

It's called Autumn.

:)

8 comments:

Cmerie said...

I am so with you! We live in the desert area of Arizona, where it's common to be above 110 from June through October. Yuck! This is our second summer here, and while I'm a little more prepared for the heat and staying indoors this year, it's still hard. I've started imagining it's blizzarding outside and that's why we don't go out. That's easy enough, seeing as our curtains aren't opened except in the evenings. At least I know I'm not alone.
God bless!

Mom of boys said...

Right with you! I laugh any time I read something about "it's summer - make sure your kids get plenty of time outside!" What? And suffer heatstroke in midday, or mosquito swarms in the evening? And lets not even mention all of the ozone warnings that come daily (although I tend not to worry about these so much). No thanks!

October should be lovely, however!

Soutenus said...

I'm feelin your pain!! If we want to play tennis we have to get up at 4:30 and it is STILL hot (I am in Houston)

A quick note from A Catholic Notebook. . . . you can add your favorite books to the Blogger's Choice Catholic Reading List until Wednesday. The deadline was extended due to some special requests! I can't wait to see and share the results at the end of the week. Come on by!

Anonymous said...

Just so you don't feel like we northerners are reveling that much in the great outdoors, here is what the sign at the local Ace Hardware says, "BUG SPRAY IS IN". That sign says a lot about the summer so far in southern Wisconsin, also the fact the the band aids have not moved from the kitchen counter because they are used so much for all those bites that have been scratched to the point of needing them.

momto5minnies said...

Love your new look!

I know what you mean. Once upon a time we did those summer backyard BBQ's, but now it seems just too hot and BUGGY. We either swim or stay indoors. Our FALL is just the best time ...

Anonymous said...

Sorry guys, but summer in the Rockies is just perfect....come to the mountains! No humidity, no bugs, lots of sunshine and cool nights....! Very kid friendly with deer and fox and all kids of neat critters just outside the front and side decks....AND the wild raspberries will be ready for pickin' in a few days!

nutmeg said...

That'd be my Mom leaving that last comment up there.

Seems she can't get enough of her adorable Grandkids....

And she's totally right. We all had a blast in the warm sun and cool nights.

:)

Christie@tisbutaseason said...

I'm feelin' your pain! We've spent many a day at the pool and a good amount in front of the TV. *sigh*

The Coach has been at UNT for the last week doing a football camp and he's had 3 practices a day. I know he's dying. Poor baby!