Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Virtual Friendships

I've met a few wonderful people through the blog-o-sphere. I hold firmly to the belief that meeting people through this medium is actually ideal. As a reader of someone's blog, you are privy to all of the thoughts and ruminations they have shared, and you really get a sense of that person's true self. As a bonus, you get to do this without the visual effect... not knowing if their teeth are straight or crooked, their hair brown or gray, and that annoying twitch? Non-existent. In other words, the visual does not at all hamper the message, the words on the screen that convey who they are.

I love getting to know all of these women I host on my side bar. And have begun to think of them as good friends, even if I haven't met them. Sounds strange, I know. But when someone asks for prayers, or isn't feeling well one day, I truly care and want to know how they are faring, or how God answered our prayers... and that is why I keep going back!

As with all "in real life" friendships, virtual friendships must be cultivated and cared for. If both parties don't reach out, the friendship will suffer. And so that is what I have been doing... (on the internet, and in real life) Instead of burning through my bloglines to get a snippet of how everyone is doing, I resolve to take the time to actually click over and leave a comment, to reinforce the friendship, and re-connect.

And since I am trying to limit my computer time,(see Karen's #1) this means less blabbing from me. But don't worry, I'm too addicted to go away forever...

Thank you all for bringing so much to my life!

:)

8 comments:

Cindy said...

You know, it's so funny you should post this today. I was thinking about you last night/early this morning, while nursing the baby. For some reason I'm just drawn to your blog - I tend to save it for one of my last reads so I know that I'll have time to enjoy your thoughts and pontifications of the day.

Karen Edmisten said...

I'm stealing a few minutes here (pretending the kids don't need me) to say that I'm grateful for you and the other wonderful friends I've "met" in cyberspace. Thanks for the comment today! :-)

Karen Edmisten said...

And, speaking of our ideas of how people look, I've GOT to change that profile picture. The actual size one is okay, but in these comboxes, it looks as if I'm slyly peeking over at my own comment. Yuck. :-/

nutmeg said...

Thanks, Cindy... I enjoy writing and getting to know people! (your boys are adorable!!)

Karen, I love the picture... it is very charming, not sly at all!

:)

Michelle said...

Know what you mean...it's one or the other. Today, I read and comment. Notice no blog post, though. Just the way it is.

momto5minnies said...

What a GREAT POST! Some of my best friends are the "virtual" kind. I have even gone on to meet in some of them in real life. Never would I have imagined myself to be one of "those" types ;)

Carmen said...

What a great post! It's fun to stumble onto people I actually know in the blogosphere. So many TACers out there!
Also thanks for the prayers. I'm doing well even during this difficult time. blessings, Carmen

Mrs. Bear said...

What a beautiful post! I absolutely agree. :-)