My definition would be: something that needs to be done, but somehow manages to remain undone, long past any reasonable amount of time it would take to get done.
How scientific.
My monkeys used to be my dental appointments, or my lovely "annual". But now with 5 kids, I actually relish the few hours spent alone in the doctor/dentist office, flipping through magazines. Still don't enjoy the actual visit though. Never have.
No, my monkeys are more on the homefront. Cleaning the fridge, the walls, the baseboards. Making sure sheets are changed, watering the tomatoes. Sometimes, it's more personal.... worries about friends and family, many prayers needed, and maybe a feeling of helplessness to overcome. All of this can be dizzying. And a clear-headed solution is needed.
Some days, monkeys like these really get me down. Not because the dirty baseboards bother me so much, but more because they just get lumped in with the rest of the duties that pile up around me during the day. Some days, I just want to hold up a white flag and let the monkeys take over and do what they will.
And those are the days that I need to put my head down and just do. Those are the days when our image of the sacred heart looks at me tenderly and implores me to offer it up for the souls He longs for. Those are the days when I take a deep breath and smile at my children and beg for extra graces and virtue to make it through.
Thank goodness for my DH. He is the boost I need to pick myself up, dust myself off, and get to work. And how blessed we are for this work! We really really are. And I am truly grateful
Many is the time I've been mistaken
And many times confused.
And I've often felt forsaken
And certainly misused.
But I'm alright, I'm alright
I'm just weary to my bones.
Still you can't expect to be bright and bon vivant
so far away from home.
So far away from home.
~Paul Simon
:)
4 comments:
Thank you. I really appreciated hearing this today. :-)
Back from vacation and back to REALITY ...
I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY.
There are many "monkeys on my back". Today it is the computer, but that seems so dumb. Our Mothers would have never delt with that one.
*I love Paul Simon. The very first concert I EVER went to was a free one in Central Park. I believe it was the summer of 1991, but breathing all that "no so fresh air" may have clouded my memory
Definitely what I needed to read today - better to accept frustrations and offer them up, than to rear up against them and say "I will not do this!" Think I'll ask for that progesterone shot today!
What a beautiful post, and what a perfect application of those lyrics. I love that song.
Post a Comment