I have seen this a few times on other blogs, and wanted to try it out. Talk about exercising one's creative writing skills! It was wonderful to do. Here's the link if you would like to try it out.
I am from muggy summers and fans whirring in the night. I am from winter ice storms and Radio Flyer sleds.
I am from a kick-the-can neighborhood, and “ghost in the graveyard” after dark. From pink-checked canopy beds and Marie Osmond Barbie dolls, and Carvel ice cream cakes.
I am from spring lilacs and summers on the beach. From backyard gardens with fresh tomatoes and ripe blueberries.
I am from Thanksgiving soccer games, and the love of all sports. I am from Donna and Ed, from Mae and Chester and Regina.
I am from peacemakers, and generosity. I am from strong convictions, and stubborn refusal to let difficulties go unchallenged.
I am from “family is everything” and “there is always room for one more”…
I am from folk guitars and hands upraised. I am from 3am visits to His most awesome Presence. From joy and contemplation. I am from Rome, true to our Vicar on earth.
I am from NY pride, Polish stubbornness and Irish loyalty. From Christmas Eve Vigilias and huge family gatherings for every occasion.
I am from my grandmother who listened, and dressed me up in her jewels. From my grandfather who fought overseas, and then came home and fought for his livelihood, battling blazes in NYC. I am from my own father, who fought the tide of the world and held strong to his beliefs, and raised us in safety. I am mostly from my mother, whose strength and skill lives in me.
I am from 8mm home movies, and Kodak Instamatic cameras. From a big red photo album with yellow-covered sticky pages, and a watery blue baby book. Both are filled with faces and memories of family and friends long-forgotten. Until we resurrect it and reminisce and laugh and cry over what used to be.
And we look with love around us at what it has become...
3 comments:
How fun.
I stink at creative writing. Yours is lovely!
I just found your blog through your sister's, which I found through Elizabeth Foss (doing some Saturday blog-hopping!). Have tears in my eyes, because I relate to so much. The Marie Osmond barbie doll? Yes, with the pink and purple dress. And the Carvel cakes, and the instamatic cameras, and the 8mm (my uncle always put on that blinding giant flash!). Oh, and the folk guitars! I enjoyed my visit here. Thanks!
Post a Comment