Life in a Nutshell
And so today we started our school year. I wasn't really planning to. But this weekend I decided that I needed a "dry run" to see what needs to be re-worked, added or chucked out completely. I needed to see if I absolutely need to move the TV into our bedroom to occupy the youngest two during the 30 minutes no-one else can. I needed to see if DS #2 can do the Writing Road to Reading with DS #1, and how DD #1 will do with her handwriting....etc. You get the idea.
So. Today we started. At 10:30 am. (Stop laughing CMW!) DS #1 didn't wake up until 9am, doesn't like to eat, converse or otherwise breathe until 30 min after he gets out of bed. We needed to go to the bank for DH, (yes, that one, so you know the whole deal...hair combed, outfits clean, shoes on, etc) And we didn't get out until 10:15 am, home at 10:30 am, and then nazi-mama kicked into high gear.
We got through most of it before lunch. We did a bit more after lunch, and with shaking hands (low blood sugar level on my part) I sit here, scarfing my lunch and living to type about it.
It really wasn't too bad. The kids were really co-operative. I think the key was the clipboards. I wrote out their schedule for the day, complete with date, page #'s of workbook pages to be done, Math fact pages attached, handwriting page attached, etc, and put it all on their very own personal clipboard. I even wrote in when snack time would be, so there was no fussing about when when when can they eat?!? And when I explained to DS #1 that he would have to finish his handwriting after lunch if he didn't get it done while I was getting it ready, he opted to finish......quickly and neatly! (be still, my heart!)
I had the older kids take turns with the two younger kids, playing with them, and keeping them happy. That was a bit harder than I had expected. It was written in their schedule (on their handy-dandy clipboards), so there was no fussing about doing it, but just about exactly how to do it. So, I need to tweak that a bit. Maybe have a set schedule for who reads to them, who plays hide-n-seek with them, who plays toys with them, etc..... Have to think on that a bit.
Right after we finished up with our first Writing Road to Reading lesson, the boys grabbed their new Stratego game that Dh had bought for them this weekend. I didn't hear from them for a good 30 minutes. The girls got out the dinosaur counters and played with them until DD #3 had to go down for her nap. Then they cleaned up the two living areas of the house (done in a snap since they've been doing schoolwork) and are now watching Noggin.....a well-deserved rest for all!
:)
6 comments:
Nothing but admiration here, no laughing, I promise, and some coveting of your great ideas! My oldest two have lesson plan sheets that they check off but a clipboard might be a good idea for #3. I can't seem to get my youngest one interested in playing with his older siblings. He is at that stage where she just stand and screams at us a lot. Ideas? Help!
Ooooh, that's a toughie. I'm a nazi-mama, though, and my ideas are limited to "so-and-so, the kids are trying to do their work, and your screaming makes it hard for them to concentrate. You either stop and come do (whatever...insert here) or you will go in your crib/room/corner/time out chair." I used to do that with my littlest last year (she was only 12 months-18 months).....yes, I am that intolerant.
You might be able to get him to do a puzzle or play a game, or maybe you can buy him a special toy just for that time of day.
I'm sure you've thought/tried all of these things though.....
I firmly believe that it's the younger kids that make homeschooling so very hard.....
But hopefully, they're getting all that knowledge by osmosis!
:)
you will never cease to amaze me. ...sigh!
Awesome! Thanks for all the advice last post. I ordered my MODG curriculum, and CANNNOT wait til it arrives!
I think my youngest is about the same age as yours, and she often ends up in her crib! ;)
Aw, Sephora, how nice to flatter your big sis....
You, who are in your last year before we get to call you "doctor"...
You, who hikes "14ers" (mountains above 14,000ft) and runs marathons...
You, who is ever faithful no matter what God sends you...
It is you, my dear sister, that constantly is amazing me.
:)
Wow. I'm happy that the public schools don't start until after Labor Day, so I have one more week to put off getting ready. But clipboards...got to get clipboards...also good for sitting in the doctor's waiting room and doing school work.
Post a Comment