Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday game

Life in a Nutshell
Had my first game today. And I survived.

Barely.

Lemme just say this.

There is a BIG difference between running on a tread-mill in 78 degree air conditioning, and running on bumpy grass in 103 degree sultry-right-before-a-storm-hits Texas heat.

I could literally feel my cleats melting onto my foot.

I could feel the steam rising up from the grass as the sun beat down on my head and face.

But. I scored a goal, so that must be good for something, right?

And the storm?

Well, the lightning siren on the field went off exactly 30 seconds after the game ended, and the rain didn't hit until I was on the highway, forcing me to use the tail lights of the car ahead of me as a guide for exactly where the road disappeared to.

But, all the cool(?!) breezes on the field made it bearable.

Barely.

I really really need to be running outside in the elements if I'm going to survive the season with any dignity intact. Oh, and have fun too.

:P

2 comments:

Sephora said...

There's plenty of dignity in scoring a goal, I should think!
One of my patients is a marathoner from Phoenix, and he used to run at 2am to dodge the heat. Any thoughts on that possibility? =)

nutmeg said...

2am? hahahahahahahahaha

I guess maybe when one of the kids wakes me in the middle of the night to tell me they need to use the bathroom (since they think I really really need to know when they use the facilites) I could just pop on my running shoes and hit the road!

No, seriously, since DH is on his way home, I can begin to run again at 8pm, which is much better than during the day and will help to prepare me for a 3pm game....