Life in a Nutshell
Just a little insight into the daily craziness around here. I have a friend who has one child, and I think I freak her out sometimes with my laid-back *snort* attitude regarding cleanliness and restrictions on behavior. I have to pick my battles, and most of them are not worth fighting.
So, here's my list of how you know you've "arrived" at the nutty phase of my nut-house lifestyle:
1. You are constantly forgetting which kid needs a hand/face/nose wipe, and therefore wiping the wrong surface on the wrong kid.
2. Every time you pass through the livingroom, you end up in the kitchen with a fistful of garbage.
3. You swear you have picked up that cheerio/superman/barbie/lego at least two other times today.
4. Any instruction that comes out of your mouth must be repeated 10 times, 2 per kid.
5. You put the top back on the toothpaste and wipe down the sink 5 times a day.
6. If you have boys, the bathroom needs to be cleaned every other day, the toilet every day, and you flush the toilet whenever you pass by the bathroom....every. flippin. time. (all this x2 if you have two bathrooms, x3 if you have three...etc)
7. If you have girls, all of your own make-up needs to be carefully stored in the highest possible cupboard, like maybe the attic. Like a Navy S.E.A.L, you apply your concealer, mascara, and lip gloss, hidden in your closet, or at least locking the bathroom door and hiding in the shower.
8. And you need to let go of the nail polish, and get used to seeing it all over the fingers and toes of each toddler, doll and cat within a ten-yard radius of the house.
9. Don't get me started on markers. The youngest eats them, and everyone else leaves the caps off, so the youngest doesn't have to work for her food.
10. You are not surprised to see your 3 year old perched on top of the (tall-stand-up) freezer, and you tell her to jump down.
Please add your own in the comments!
7 comments:
*The family cat CAN'T sleep unless there is a great deal of noise.
:)
No fair...you're not supposed to be commenting about MY house, only your own!
Although, you of all people, Portia, would know what it's like to live in the nut-house amidst all the peanuts....
and, of course, Ben the cat.
(Speaking of, I have a picture I need to post of him.)
On the subject of markers:
You thank heaven for whoever invented washable markers--especially when you discover that not only has your toddler drawn all over himself, the carpet, and the books, but his baby brother as well. And he's down it all in the space of about 30 seconds.
that should be "DONE it all"
As for your number 1 you forgot to mention one BIG surface, that, well, atleast for me, seems to need to be wiped at random and inconvinent times...
Scene: Mom cooking supper
Eldest daughter, Sophia: MOM!!! Can you please come wipe me!!!?
Mom: Sophia, you can do it yourself.
Sophia: But MOM!!!! It was a wet one!!!!
Mom: ...
Amanda, I have a "blue squiggly forehead" story in the archives here.... it was after that, that I make sure the markers I buy are washable!!
Teresa....ew! But oh so true!!
Just discovered your blog, Nutmeg. What a delight! (That is, given that no one is in the room to hear me snorting out loud as I read it.)
Blessings,
Margaret in Minnesota
PS. You have a beautiful family!
Post a Comment