Life in a Nutshell
We seem to be having a bit o' trouble down yonder here these days. Our neighborhood seems safe for the most part. The kids can wander in the front a few houses on each side without me worrying too much. Our rules are simple. No going out front without letting an adult know, and no going out front alone. Oh, and shoes are required. (my kids are southern kids....)
There are two houses across the street that have kids roughly the same age as our oldest who is eight. The boy, Andrew, is nine. And the girl next door to him, Sara, is nine as well. Andrew is the youngest in his family, and Sara is an only child. Every family has it's problems, and theirs are no exception. But the kids seem fairly well-adjusted for the most part.
Except. They sometimes get it in their respective heads that this or that day is a good day to play tricks on my kids, lie to them, or just plain scare the sh*t out of them. And then my little ones come inside in tears, in extreme anger, or just plain confused. You see, my kids don't know how to play mean tricks on other people and it would never enter their heads to do so. Sometimes I'm really tempted to bring to their attention that they significantly out number those two "lovely children of God" (said through clenched teeth) and maybe they should take advantage of that!
But no. I just gently explain, without getting too emotional, that some friends just aren't the best kind of friends. That some people don't know how to be a good friend....etc. And those kind of friends aren't really worth our time and effort. We are to always be kind, but not seek them out. It's hard to understand why they are acting this way, so we just walk away when they decide to be nasty.
Of course, in all of my motherly wisdom, I knw why these kids are acting this way. They are jealous. Yeah, right, my inner teenager retorts, rolling my eyes and exclaiming with false conviction, "OH! Right (Dad! -I used to say) It must be that! I'm soo d**m gorgeous with a stunning wit and beautiful clothes, and the most amazing athletic ability!" But, I have to admit, I think that these neighborhood kids are jealous of my kids. Not because of what we own. (little Andrew has his own mini-motorcycle and in-ground pool for heaven's sake) Not because we are super-rich. (hahahahahaha) I think it's because of our family life. I think they see stability and boundaries and formation. They see joy and laughter in numbers, and excitement in the little things, especially in relation to our youngest.
The best I can hope for my kids is the maturity, grace and charity to deal with these problems.
With a healthy dose of standing up for oneself.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment