Wednesday, May 17, 2006

"Othercott", or not?

Life in a Nutshell

As we all know, this Friday marks the opening weekend of that horrendous movie, "The DaVinci Code". Many Christian groups are advocating an "othercott" versus a boycott of the movie.

I thought (and still do think) that this is a great idea.

A mother at the Catechesis that I take my kids to once a week asked if anyone was going to the movies this weekend, and I said that I still need to find a sitter. She just smirked and shook her head. Her friend told me that she (this woman) had written an e-mail against this "othercott". And so, always up for a new perspective, I asked her about it.

Her answer was a simple refutation of supporting anything from secular society. She thinks that spending money at a Catholic bookstore, instead of playing the worldly game the worldly way, would be money best spent.

Well, of course it would!

But, would Hollywood notice, or even care, that the weekend the "DaVinci Code" opened, Catholic bookstores around the globe experienced a spike in sales? Certainly not. Especially if said movie took first place at the box office.

In fact, Hollywood might even attribute the spike in sales (if they ever found out) to the "DaVinci Code", and think that people are interested now in finding out for themselves all the secrecy and errors behind the Church! Furthermore, those producers would be encouraged to make more blasphemous erroneous movies about our beloved Church.

I think the woman I spoke to was trying to say something more than this particular movie. I think she was getting on her soapbox about secularism in general. I don't know if I understand completely where she is coming from. I just hope she is not denouncing all that is in our culture. I hope she is not saying that as Catholics we cannot engage our culture in order to help to cure it, or redeem it.

Yes, things are bad. But if we do not get involved, if we do not voice our preferences, if, in fact, we seem to acquiesce by our silence, then it will only get worse....and we will be to blame. Denouncing what is unacceptable is our duty. Throwing the baby out with the bath water is irresponsible, and furthers the stereotype that the Church and all of it's members are hopelessly behind the times. We need to be prepared, and we need to be smart.

"Wise as serpents, and gentle as doves"

:)

Here is an article from Catholic Exchange yesterday on this very topic!

Oh! And here are the first reviews........ Thank God!

5 comments:

Suzanne Di Silvestri said...

You are right: we are called to live our society and be holy right where we are. It would be all too easy to cloister ourselves and ignore what is going on around us, but the fact is that our children are growing up in this country and we have to live morally and teach them to do so in spite of it all.

There are 1.1 billion Catholics worldwide (and 2.1 billion Christians). If we can't effect a change as a group, who can?

Superstar said...

Ladies, PLEEEAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!

Our faith can not honestly be tested over a FICTIONAL book! Belief is Power. Why after 30+ years of Christian or Catholic up bringing, would this book/movie rattle or shake your faith??? Believe for you! Believe for the sake of your kids, for my nieces and my future unborn children. DO not let the "evil" of a Hollywood movie be the very crack in your foundation. Un like Jericho, you are all stronger than this.. The trumpets will not sound and bring you all down. Enjoy the thought that it has provoked in you to ask the “tough” questions, and reassure your beliefs.

nutmeg said...

Um... did anyone say that OUR faith was being shaken?

We just want to send a message to Hollywood that we don't appreciate a movie that says blasphemous things against our beloved Church.

Dan Brown's book is so erroneous it isn't even funny. No real scholar can possibly take it seriously. The problem is that most people will fall for it, and thus lose what little faith they may have had.

I don't understand what your comment is trying to say to us ladies here.

Superstar said...

I am trying to convey, that I so sick of people talking about this book like it is the anti- Christ of our generation. It is a fictional book. It is a Hollywood version of entertainment. It is MADE UP.

FICTION

So I agree with you that the church (irregardless of which denomination) is getting WAY too involved in this FICTION.

FICTION.

I agree with Suzanne that we need to tech our children the TRUTH (like the bible)so that books and theologians, (some call them false prophets) will not make our future generations question what is "real"
Faith is tested on a daily basis, no matter how small or large it may seem.

nutmeg said...

I never said that the Church is getting way too involved in this fiction....did I?

The problem is that on page one of Dan Brown's work of fiction, he lists all the "Facts".....most of which are erroneous, BTW, but what he hopes is that no-one will double-check these facts for accuracy.

He wants people to believe that this work of fiction is true.

That is a huge problem. And the Church needs to be ready to answer all of these questions (however asinine they may be) that are coming from those who have read "The Da Vinci Code" and have no idea what is true and what is not.