Life in a Nutshell
I updated the reading sidebar at right, and will try to do so from now on. The first selection will be what I (or DH) is reading, then out-loud reading to kids, then DS#1-age 8, then DS#2-age 6. Although this time I messed up and put DS#1's selection above the out-loud selection.
We are a reading family. I love-love-love to read, always have. I started reading at an early age, and still devour everything in sight.
Except for Moby Dick.
That was Junior year in college.
Anyway, DH is the same. Except I think he read Moby Dick. When we find a book we both want to read, it's a race to see who gets it first. Usually, I win, since I am home all day, and will happily order pizza for dinner, just so that I can find out the ending all the quicker. I am a fast reader, but DH remembers things in better detail. He can still remember the intricacies of Aristotle's Metaphysics. I'm all, we read that, right?? LOL
Luckily, the kids seem to be following in our love of reading. When DS#1 started to read, he took off like a shot. I could not keep his bookshelf up-to-date fast enough. Whenever I bought new books, he wasn't heard from for hours. And his enthusiasm is contagious.
All of the kids (except #5) have lamps clipped onto their headboards. They get into bed 15-20 min early, just to have time to "read". (in most cases, it's just looking at pictures) And this is after the story time we have as a family!
I am so grateful that, amidst all of my other parenting failures (and there is a plethora, trust me!) there is at least one area that I have thus far succeeded in passing on that is positive. This love of the printed word, and the worlds and times that are made accessible to my little ones...
No comments:
Post a Comment