Sunday, October 09, 2005

Perspective

Life in a Nutshell
Just to expand on my lovely post from yesterday...

I know miscarriage is a hard topic, mostly because people don't know how to deal with it. They (usually) understand that there has been a loss, but don't know what to say to the Mom. "I'm sorry for your loss" is a good one. Just don't ever ignore it, no matter how strong the Mom might appear. I had a good friend who never mentioned anything to me, and as a result, we drifted apart. I was so hurt by her (seeming) disregard for what I was going through..... I was literally a walking tomb for a week, since my body hadn't actually started the process of miscarrying until a week after I found out that Gianna had died.... I thought my friend was being pretty insensitive, especially since I saw her the day after I found out! As it turns out, she was just trying to take her cue from me. And I'm of the old "suck it up" school, and don't let people in on your feelings.

I remember I actually told a friend I had miscarried, and when she said, "Oh, I'm sorry" I said, "that's ok" and she (rightly so) said "no, it's not!" and gave me a big hug, and I burst into tears...

I remember when I returned from that o.b. appointment, and I picked up DD#2 from my friend's house; my little 14 month old looked so huge, and all of a sudden, my family of four seemed so small. Even my husband remarked that he couldn't imagine having only four kids...he definitely wanted more!

I know women who have gone through many miscarriages, and some of those being very late in the pregnancy. I know of women who have had cesareans to deliver a little angel who is stillborn. And even after having gone through that heart break once or twice, or even more, they still actively try to conceive and have more babies. They are true heroes, true saints. They are some of the strongest people I know....

I admire them so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having been on the other side - told by a friend that she has miscarried - I know it can be difficult to know how to react. I remember when one friend in particular told me she had suffered this tremendous loss, I burst into tears - I knew how desperately she had wanted and how long she had waited for this child - and then I immediately felt guilty for not being calm and strong for her.

I am so sorry for what you've gone through in losing Gianna. My prayers are with you and yours.

God bless,

Smokee

nutmeg said...

Thanks, Smokee! Mutual tears are always appreciated, I would think. You have always been an understanding soul...it's great to find people who can relate even when they themselves have not gone through it.