Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gemma These Days

Gemma is our Little Dear. Only 10 years old, she sometimes has the disposition of a 13 year old... what with all the requests for music and clothes and such.  Although my good friend Lisa tells me that when she actually does get to that age, it will be nothing like it is now.

Hmmm.  Can't wait.

:P

My Gemma Dear has an artistic soul.  She has always been drawn to acute observation... and then she will proceed to talk talk talk about it.  She loves to create.  Painting, drawing, crafts, cooking, baking... she is adept at spinning things into beauty.  It is quite a hurdle for this craft-challenged Mama to keep her occupied.

Gemma also has a heart of gold.  She is a true friend.  Never one to disparage others, she is fiercely loyal.  And will always give her friends the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes to a fault.  She is just like her Mama in this way.  It hurts to see her hurting due to the thoughtlessness of others.  That these other girls do not fully understand the treasure that is her friendship, that her heart has been thrown to the side in the name of "popularity".  Yes, even among home schoolers there can be a pecking order.  She is young for her grade level, and the friends in her co-op are much wiser in the lingo of "growing up."  It's just a hard age, I'm afraid.

All of this comes down to my relationship with her.  How hard it can be for me sometimes to look past the fact that she has told me the same story everyday for the past week.  To see her excitement for crafts and special times together as an opportunity to bond, not another chore I must complete.  Her desire to be close to me, to bring me in as a confidant, is something I need to foster and encourage.  I'm working on it.  And the rewards of our relationship have become apparent.

This oldest daughter of mine is a gem, as her name implies. She is sweet and honest.  Open about her hopes and dreams, innocent in her loves and wishes.  Her questions are refreshingly innocent.  And her heart is pure.

It's a lovely thing to behold.


















Lovely.  Just like her.


:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And she IS....so lovely! Our Gemma Dear...what a beauty... more and more just like her mama!

Petra said...

I agree! I love that girl!

Sephora said...

Beautiful AND innocent -- a gem these days, for sure. She's what every mother wants her daughter to be... :)

Auntie Erin said...

I love this little window into lovely Gemma's personality. Thank you!!