Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sometimes I Feel Like I'm Cheating

I don't like to suffer.  I'm human, but a very poor Catholic in that regard.

During my bout with morning (aka all day) sickness, I was miserable.  And rather than paste on a happy face, I slogged through my days, dressed in sweats and clutching my stomach. I impatiently counted the weeks until I could and would want to eat again.  I tried to "offer it up" but still kept the misery close.

Winters in Texas are mild, everyone knows that.  However, this past winter was a cold one for us.  We got snow.  Bona fide flakes, an entire foot of it, fell from the sky.  And it happened twice.  While I appreciated the beauty, I did not appreciate the bitter cold.  I sat huddled in blankets, sipping mugs of cocoa by the warm fire.  I enjoyed watching the children play... from inside my warm cocoon. I did not venture out.


I lead a quiet life.  Quiet as in, not public.  (not quiet as in monastic... the level of noise at times here is unbearable ;)   I do not get thousands of hits on my little blog.  I do not get hundreds of e-mails a day.  My life is not lived online, and I would venture to say that most bloggers' lives are not either. But some are expected to.  And are taken to task if they don't. 

I'm no big force on the internet.  What I post here does not get bounced around from blog to blog as different writers post their "take" on my latest tome.  The topics I write about are not dissected or made fun of, and for that I am so very glad.  I do not have skin thick enough to let my heart (my writing) be taken apart and analyzed.  To have my motives be questioned or my sincerity judged.

It is a "winter" I do not have to endure.  It is an "infirmity" I do not have to suffer.

But we know the contradiction of suffering. 
~Food tastes sweeter after 3 months of morning sickness.
~Spring smells fresher after months of a hard winter.
~The sun shines brighter when you emerge on the other side of struggle and pain.

I feel like I'm cheating.  I get the sun, and a life of (relative) ease.  I write what I want, when I want.  We have no need for heavy winter coats here, and the armor I wear in the blogging world is scant.  

Since there are no arrows attempting to pierce this scant shield, then the least I can do is to make certain that there are no arrows, no hidden barbs, in my own writing.

To build up, and to pass the blessing of charitable composition on to others.


10 comments:

Patty said...

Well, let me say, I am oblivious to many negative things in blogosphere that I hear about.

I personally enjoy writing to "survive" my decision to homeschool. And, if it makes someone laugh...bonus, baby!

I alway take away something positive from your blogosphere neighborhood...keep up the positive work! I for one truly enjoy it!

Sephora said...

I love what you share, and I'm glad you have a comfort level that allows to you keep writing! If it's a blessing for you, then mutual blessings abound.

No criticisms here (and no complaints if you never post something that millions want to analyze)!

If it weren't for the likelihood that we'll soon be without online access, you've been the one who's *almost* inspired me to resume some level of blogging.

nutmeg said...

Red~
All I meant is that amongst Catholic bloggers especially, there should be a higher level of charity. If a blogger has shared something of a more personal nature, it should be handled with kid gloves.
Of course, you have the "right" to blog about whatever you wish, including picking apart someone else's blog post...
I am convinced, though, that Catholic Christians should hold to a higher standard.
So... we must agree to disagree.

Sephora said...

"It's not automatically uncharitable to discuss something posted on the Internet."
***********************

I believe the opposite is also true.
It is not automatically charitable to discuss something posted on the internet. In other words, not all discussion is charitable, no matter what the subject matter.

I think Nutmeg makes a good point that Christians should be especially sensitive to that fact.

nutmeg said...

Red~
I'm not sure you fully understood my comment earlier. I said that I was speaking of topics that are of a PERSONAL nature. Macaroni crafts and lemon pie recipes are not good examples of that.
When formulating an argument, it is always best to give the other side the full benefit of the doubt, and not reduce their point of view to absurdity.
And, to answer you, YES, charity goes both ways. If a commenter truly does not mean to offend (a matter of conscience, finally) then the original author needs to give them the benefit of the doubt as well.
It's all about clear communication and pure intentions. A hard topic to nail down, obviously.

momto5minnies said...

I love your blog and check back often to see your latest posting.

For a short time I felt like my blog was gaining readers, but then I let my postings go from daily to maybe 2x a week. My little following seemed to go away. I'm okay with that. I never really blogged for others ... although I did enjoy the visitors ;) I guess I understand your idea of leading a "quiet life". For now while I am quite busy at home with my family, I am grateful for not feeling the tug of the virtual world.

Anonymous said...

Red Cardigan,
Did Sally really call it "all that silly All Saint's Day stuff?" That's astonishing. I can't imagine someone saying that, particularly when it's so important to choose our words because that's the only way the reader can intuit our intent.

nutmeg said...

Anon..

Here is the link to the article.

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2009/10/the-drama-of-hallowmas

I'm pretty sure Sally didn't say that.

And Red, can you please give a fair representation of the opposing argument if you're going to bring it up at all?

Charity and all....
:P

Anonymous said...

It is ironic that in the context of explaining all the rules about how to be charitable both as a blogger and a commenter, Red characterizes Sally's comments about All Saints Day in such an unkind--and untrue--manner. That is NOT what Sally said. Thanks for the link, Nutmeg. I appreciate knowing what she really said, without the snarky misrepresentation. This conversation wasn't about Halloween--it was about ugliness towards high profile bloggers. Red has proven your point, I think, Nutmeg, that it is not necessary to guard speech when throwing around opinions about high profile bloggers. I had no idea that such--now stated and demonstrated-- was the accepted practice.

nutmeg said...

Sorry, all. Comments are now closed.

After the above commenter removed all of her posts, she attacked me personally in my inbox.

The arrows were meant to pierce. The barbs were not hidden.

I have been called things I have never been called by anyone else before in my entire life.

Being up at this hour (thank you, pregnancy insomnia!) and suddenly worrying that someone else had taken up the rallying cry against me is ridiculous and not conducive to a healthy family life.

I'm sorry the discussion had to end this way.

:(