Yes, I've been doing a bit of reading and a heck of a lot of reflecting. And talking, and discussing. There have been quite a few conversations with IRL friends that have plopped into my lap and the theme has a thread of gold running through it.
I love it when that happens. It's serendipity.
That my meditations on In Conversation With God and my discussion with friend A at the pool mirror my chat with DH and later on with friend B on the phone. Which, of course all relates to a problem that friend C is having.
The Christian in the middle of the world is like a light shining out from the lampstand, like a city set on top of a hill. The first thing one notices is the humanity of the Christian- the good example of integrity, loyalty, decency, bravery. This is what gets people's attention. The human virtues thus serve as instruments in the apostolate of bringing others closer to God. One's professional prestige, friendliness, sincerity, can prepare souls to listen to the message of Christ.
We have to act in such a way that others will be able to say, when they meet us: This man is a Christian... because he does not hate, because he is willing to understand, because he is not a fanatic, because he is willing to make sacrifices, because he shows that he is a man of peace, because he knows how to love, because he is generous with his time, because he doesn't complain, because he knows how to overlook what is superfluous....
And this is exactly what the discussions swirling around me have been about. Natural virtue. Setting an example. The shock when you witness a "good" Christian suddenly act in a miserly way. The humble realization of your own shortcomings. Stepping in when others can't or won't. Praying for guidance... how much giving is too much? Praying for more guidance... what is important, what is at stake? What is the true intent here?
I have to be vague. I'm sorry, but my IRL relationships here in my little Catholic community are too precious for me to squander on a random blog post. But I can say what I have learned... and what I continue to learn.
That it is heroic to practice natural virtue. That sometimes, it can be downright painful. And that we may think we are being all holy and pious and charitable... that we are excelling in the practice of the supernatural virtues, when, in fact, we are falling miserably short in the perfection of the most basic of natural virtues....
The Lord wants us to practice all the human virtues... optimism, generosity, order, fortitude, cheerfulness, cordiality, sincerity, honesty.
Jesus attached so much importance to the human virtues that he went so far as to tell his disciples, "If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things?"
As I said, I am the least one to preach about these things. But the conviction is there, and the opportunities to put this into practice, infinite. God is so good, to give us many new chances to learn His wondrous ways.
:)

*All quotes taken from In Conversation With God.
1 comment:
Wonderful post. I certainly need to heed those words a little bit better than what I am.
Post a Comment