Thursday, April 29, 2010

Body "Image"

As I took my place at the end of the line, I saw her.  This thin, petite mom with sleek blonde hair and insanely high heels.  A designer handbag perched on her shoulder, she was the epitome of fashion.  While the other moms around her chatted, she soundly ignored everyone.  Instead she flipped her hair and texted on her phone.  She seemed utterly bored and barely able to contain her impatience.  I wondered at her glamour and the importance of her status in her own world.

Then she turned around.

A mixture of awe and disappointment engulfed me.  This stunning woman, desperate to keep her youthful appearance, had succumbed to the empty promises of cosmetic surgery.  It was so obvious, I cringed.  Her eyebrows strung high, and her lips in a permanent pout, she looked... unnatural.  When someone accidentally bumped into her and apologized, she smiled... and I was horrified.  She suddenly looked eighty years old.

Later that day, contemplating my expanding stomach and all the stretching and joyous changes on the horizon... I thought of that woman.

How easy it would be for me to feel despair at the loss of my thinner self.  To decry every wrinkle and groan over each blemish. 

But also... how ridiculous.

You see, I am a mom.  And we moms have hit upon a secret.  We have experience and know this secret firsthand.  It is the key to our happiness, but also to our sanity. 

Our bodies are not our own.

When God blesses us with a new life, we experience this "other" like nothing else ever could.  There is, literally, an"other" dwelling within us.  And everything we eat and do, every choice we make, affects this "other" being in an intimate way.  Also?  We have no control over the changes that must occur in order to sustain this new life.  To bemoan the loss of our flat stomach or firm thighs is nonsense.  To try desperately not to gain weight is absurd.

And so it is with getting older. 

Our bodies are not our own.

We will get wrinkles and gray hair.  Things will start to droop and sag.  The weight that used to melt like ice cream in summer will suddenly become steadfast. We can use creams, we can color our hair, and expend hours of energy working out and weighing each portion of food before it touches our lips... but it is inevitable. 

It is so hard not to look at yourself critically.  To notice the extra pouches here and there.  Yesterday, while standing in line, I unconsciously sucked in my stomach.  I fingered my wild, curly hair.  And I felt a bit frumpy.  But then I pulled myself together.  I chatted with the lady behind me and held onto Little Love's hand, while waving to a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. 

When I got back to the car, I'll admit it, I glanced in my rear-view mirror... briefly.  I saw.. me.  A healthy, slightly older, Mama.  Full of life and joy. 

And no matter what my age, I hope and pray that that is what I will always be able to see.

:)


These ruminations brought to you courtesy of my birthday today... not surprising, eh?  :P

14 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi Nutmeg,
Oh, happy, happy birthday!
On this post--so true about the lessons of pregnancy. It was when I was heavy with baby 6 that one of my favorite people, a priest/teacher, was dying of cancer. It struck me that both of us (on good days) were surrendering our bodies to the very blessed will of God, and were meant to give up our control of shape and comfort and "beauty".
And a little chuckle from Tuesday's post--would that be alyssum that you are planning on planting...? xo, Cathy

Cmerie said...

Happy birthday Nutmeg! Great post. I often wonder how women think that all the cosmetic surgery makes them more beautiful. What could be more beautiful than the body/face that God gave us? I linked to this at my blog today.

nicole said...

Happy Birthday! I'm guessing this one is one you will treasure, as your gift grows inside you. I love what you have to say and hope I can pass on those ideas to my children (I've been blessed to have a mostly positive self-image all my life).

E Caughron said...

Oh, Happy Birthday! and thank you, how much I needed this today. Only 9 weeks to go and the heaviest ever, and legs finally succumbing to the vericose veins after nine kids, yes, I needed this reminder. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! I've been feeling down about my own body image - this was a great read!

nutmeg said...

Cathy.. um. Yes! Alyssum. Obviously, I am still as ignorant as ever in all things flowery.
:P
Thanks for the correction...

And thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes!

:)

Barbara said...

Happy, happy day, sweet Meg! I was never as comfortable in my skin as I was when I began to embrace my age. Age comes with experience and that's a good thing. ;-)

Kimberlee said...

Happy, happy birthday to curly, beautiful you!!!

Diane said...

I love this.
Perspective. Wisdom. Grace.
Happy Birthday, you beautiful, blessed mom. May you be smothered in love. :)

momto5minnies said...

Great post Meg. I see women like that all the time. It makes me wonder if all the "work" they had done made them feel better. Somehow I think NOT.

I have days that I feel older and a bit worn out, but even more days that I feel strong, cute (I'll take that), and happy. A cheerful disposition can easily make someone look and feel years younger.

Embracing age is tough sometimes, but I would never for one second want to start all over again.

Anonymous said...

Great post....wonderful perspective! At 61 and not too many months to go for 62...those days of getting excited about shopping for a bathing suit, heck even a new dress(!), are long gone...this is a great reminder....as we used to tell you all growing up...beauty on the inside is much more beautiful!!! AND YOU, dear First Born...are beautiful INSIDE and OUT....and very gifted as well...:D....love you...see you and that "Bump" along with DH and the Peanuts sooonnn!!!

Michelle said...

Happy belated birthday, beautiful Mama.

Suzanne Di Silvestri said...

When I was pregnant the words of the Eucharistic prayer, "This is my body which will be given up for you" always had a special meaning. I could understand more clearly how Jesus could willingly give up his body for love of us. What a blessing to give our bodies for the sake of another! I am so glad that you can do it...again.

(Oh, and happy birthday!)

Karen Edmisten said...

Happy birthday, and what a true and lovely post! I just had a birthday too, and every year God teaches me something new and it never, at the core, has anything to do with the wrinkles, and at the same time, it has everything to do with them. :)