Friday, January 02, 2009

When Your Resolutions Choose You

So it looks like my beautiful lil sis is here to stay.

Yes, I did say beautiful.

You're right, I'm sorry. The last picture I posted of her hardly does her justice.

Well, how about this one... yes, both of my lil sis's are beautiful.

The one that is staying with us, (the baby of the fam) is the beautiful lil sis on the left.

















Yes, she is very beautiful.

She's managed to survive almost a week here at the Nutty Nut House, and still comes up and thanks me for taking her in.

I just smile, knowing that at some point, she will be gritting her teeth as she dashes for the front door.

:)

In reflecting on this change in our lives here, I'm realizing that the benefits go both ways.

Because we have a.... quasi-guest in the house, I've been taking more time to really listen to my children. To understand their point of view in situations, and not just scream that everyone who is fighting will now pick up their scrub brushes and commence with the cleaning. Not that I ever did that. Really.

I've also noticed that where DH and I tend to succumb to our melancholic selves when tempers are short, we are now finding the humor in the squabbles, and all for the benefit of our new teenage charge. I distinctly remember my own Dad breaking the tension many times for my mom and us older kids because the bickering by the younger ones (yes my adorable sis being one of them.... ironic, eh?) was driving us all to distraction. It's molding our parenting style into something more light-hearted... which was an issue I've been mulling over during this break.

One of the main reasons lil sis is here, is due to a medical condition that has developed because of (stress-induced) poor eating habits. My job is to make sure that she gets her protein and veggies at least once a day.... mainly at dinner time. Therefore, my menu planning is essential. This, again, is something that has been suffering lately. And a little kick-in-the-pants is definitely needed. In fact, I welcome it.

Another area where my score is that dreaded "needs improvement" is cleanliness. By that, I mean of course, the house. Lil sis has said that it doesn't bother her how clean the house is, and I've cautioned her to lower her expectations from the beauty that surrounds her when she goes home to Mom. But it sure does bother me to see the state of the kid's bathroom that she has to use, or the dire straits that the kitchen floor is in. I'm determined to keep better control over the state of the union around here, and to re-instate the chore schedule with gusto.

And last, but certainly not least.... here is a little known fact. I am her Godmother. If that doesn't heap a bunch of responsibility on me to get my act together spiritually, I don't know what does. This seeming dry spell that I am experiencing on the praying front has me deflated. The thought of the upcoming home schooling semester and all that it will entail, is daunting. Knowing that there is a huge opportunity to witness to God's will and God's grace working in and through a family, humbles me. I will be hitting my knees more often this year.

The best part about this arrangement, is that I get to have family really close by. My beloved lil sis is not responsible for anything but herself and her studies while she's with us. I've made that clear. The kids have chores and school, she has school and laundry, and I have my own stuff that goes along with my vocation. It's enough for me to saunter past her room and have a quick chat, or glance in at her room and all the college accoutrements that go along with that life, and it makes me smile.

I love that she's here, that she is doing well, and that I can help in some small way.

What a blessing that these New Year's resolutions have come my way.

:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sniff....thanks, Meg....you and DH will probably never know the blessing you are to us at this point. I guess it's called pass it forward...I never in a million years thought we would have to be in this situation...my prayers for you and your generous famliy are almost constant these days...I guess that's a good New Year's beginning on this end...love you and be CERTAIN of the ongoing prayers...:)