Monday, October 06, 2008

Walk Softly

My boys are stick collectors. They are forever on the lookout for the "perfect" stick. You know the kind. Big, brown, heavy and round. Easily whittled, perfectly curved.

You know, a stick-ish stick.

I learned very early on in my "Mothering of Boys" career to never ever ever throw a stick away. Doing so inevitably resulted in tears of frustrated anger as the owner would recount how cherished this particular piece of bark was and how it could never be replaced.

Because, not only are these sticks uber-cool, and they most definitely are. They, every single one of them, occupy a unique place in my boys' artillery collection.

For example, here is Sports Fan's array:















Now, if I asked you to name these WMD's, your answer could readily be: "stick, stick, stick, and oh yeah, another stick!"
But to the discerning eye, the proper terms would be:
(top to bottom)
spear, 1 sword, javelin, 2 more swords, smacker (mace), bow, 2 more swords, dagger, club, throwing stick.


And here is Action Man's collection:




















(from top to bottom) 2 throwing sticks, pinner (?? as in, that cool "forked thingy" at the top could totally "pin" someone's hand down), mace, 5 swords, pick, bows, and arrows.
(on the side) 4 daggers and 2 spears.

I'd say my boys are well-armed... carrying their big sticks.

:)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Where do they KEEP all these ???
I admire your tolerance. I think my mom would have flipped if my brother had tried that.

momto5minnies said...

We are a rock family. My washer/dryer don't really appreciate that ;)

Some days i just think ... WHO NEEDS TOYS??? At least those sticks and rocks are au natural ... no lead, no BPA, etc.