The mercury topped out at 105, there was a heat advisory in effect, and my peanuts decided that it was the perfect day to launch WWIII right here in the Nut House living room.
DH worked from home and, while it was nice to commiserate with a real adult during the day, I felt my failures of a mom being magnified because the children could not seem to tolerate each other's presence in any way at any time.
After dinner, I
I started with the begonias by the tree, noticing that almost half of them were simply... gone, thanks to my neighbor's cats who seem to think that this particular bed is their personal litter box. (Yes, my "landscaper neighbor" ...take the bad with the good, eh?)
On to the lantanas by the side fence. They have bounced back from worse neglect, so I watered them heartily, with much "help" from Little Love. As we stood watering, the crispy grass scratched at our feet, and so I next turned the hose to the lawn. After moving methodically through the 100 sq. ft. area of brown grass, allowing the hose to soak the area sufficiently, I moved onto the final stretch of fence that includes our azaleas and asian maples.
All told, I spent about an hour drenching the back yard. I felt a bit more peaceful, more focused, with a real sense of accomplishment. It felt great to know that I had infused some life back into a "being" that had become dry and withered.
And then I wondered.
How much real time am I spending with those little "beings" entrusted to my care? How often do I let them wither in the heat of my glare? My- "I'm too busy with the dishes/bathrooms/writing/talking on the phone etc", "not now, I need to organize the spices/write out another list/read this review/print out another homeschool ideas sheet, etc", "could you please stop that (insert behavior here) ...I'm trying to save the world?!?" -busyness that always seems to supercede their needs?
Am I making eye contact, giving heart-felt hugs, reading to them, listening to them, helping them to grow into the people God wants them to be? Am I taking the time I need with My Creator, to allow Him to make eye contact, to pour His life into my heart and soul?
Convicted by my ponderings, I turn to my peanuts. To shower them with my love and encourage their growth and just "be." Each night as I retire in satisfaction, tired but invigorated, I will also turn towards my God, and thank Him for all of these gifts. I will return to my favorite form of prayer... adoration. I've been away much too long. This is what I need, so that I am able to live this blessed life with renewed strength and appreciation.
It is a good feeling to infuse and be infused with Life and Love.
To water the roots.
:)
4 comments:
Great analogy, Nutmeg. Adoration gets way down deep at our faith in God. Time spent in the immediate presence of Our God is so refreshing. I like to call it Happy Hour!
A wonderful post, and a great reminder! :)
GREAT POST!
We could use a little water over here too ;)
Very beautiful and convicting, Nutmeg. Thank you. Why is it so darn easy to get distracted from our true vocation, the daily bread of our heart and soul and joie de vivre? That bad guy, he's tricky.
Offering a prayer for you right now...
Post a Comment