Here's how it all went down:
Little Boo has started playing soccer on a great team in a local all-girls' league. Her coach was a bit of a stickler at first, causing DH and I to wonder what exactly we had gotten ourselves into. They practiced twice a week for an hour and a half... they had to arrive at games 30min before... we had to pay fees exactly on this date at this time.... the uniform cost a pretty penny... All this for an under 7 team!
I was a bit apprehensive. This guy and this team seemed a bit... intense... for our family.
Then came the first game.
Little Boo, in her super-cute and sassy pink uniform, headed out to the field to play defense. I was highly skeptical, but bit my tongue. And I was in for quite a surprise.
Of all of my soccer-playing children, Little Boo was good.
Not only could she steal the ball from the fast moving forwards and kick it back down the field, but she also seemed to intuitively know and understand where she needed to be at all times. I was so used to eating my own fist when it came to watching the kids play, (what with me feeling helpless as my soccer-clueless children gallivanted all over the field, always in the wrong position, always misjudging the play... I had a heart-attack at every game....I was quite the sideshow for my friends :P ) that I didn't quite know what to do with myself when it came to Little Boo's games.
I could... sit back? Enjoy? Simply cheer her on?
What a concept!
:)
During our vacation on the west coast, Little Boo kept bringing up this tournament. It was an all day affair, the Saturday after we returned. It was over an hour away, and the girls would be expected to play 4 games total. DH and I said NO. WAY. But Little Boo was determined. We'd be enjoying our hamburgers at In-n-Out, and she would ask about the tournament. We'd be playing in the sand at the beach, and the tournament would be on her mind. We'd be waiting in line at Disneyland, for heaven's sakes, and she would ask if she could play in the tournament with her team.
And so, at our hotel in Gallup, NM I got an e-mail from her coach. He had a few last-minute cancellations for the tournament, and could really use Little Boo, he said. After discussing it with DH the next day, somewhere between Albuquerque, NM and Amarillo, TX, I texted the coach and said that she could play. A few phone calls back and forth... and we were set.
Little Boo was ecstatic.
And the rest?
Is a picture-post...
She took most of the goal kicks...
She did a great job of shielding the ball from the other team....
She had awesome positioning on corner-kicks...
She had a great time with her teammates....
And she came out a winner...
Of course.
:)





2 comments:
Oh we know the feeling when it comes to sports. The girls totally have inherited my sport talents (zilch - nada) and the youngest ended up being awesome in soccer. What a thrill to finally have a child who really had some athletic ability! Enjoy it.
Yay, Little Boo! What a fun story!
Post a Comment