A cold front blew in last night, starting with a gentle rain, and then reinforcing it's presence with a loud bang at 5:45am.
After the initial flash of light and house-shaking *BOOM* we played musical beds and I found myself lying amidst a bed of girls. Little Love, Little Boo, then Little Dear were all lined up, heads sharing my long body pillow, while DH took refuge in their room. The girls flounced here and there, snuggling under the blankets until all was still. I glanced down the row, and took a mental picture.
There will be many more nights like this, that I can be sure of.
This time of year in Texas is a strange one, and I marvel at it every year. A new friend, transplanted from California, announced to me the other day that she had packed up all the winter clothes for her family. Meeting my bewildered face, she asked, "Is that ok? Aren't we done with the colder temperatures?" I just laughed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the time of year where I am folding the laundry for one season while wearing the other.
My children are old enough now to realize exactly what the words "cold front" and "warm front" mean. And they don't balk at having to dress accordingly.
Although they are still confused by the fact that although it is not Spring, they have already been out running in the sprinkler in their bathing suits.
March is a gray month in Texas. Lots of instability in the atmosphere, which lends itself to lots of clouds. While I don't mind the rain, the clouds get to me after a few days.
Our storms are amazing. I don't think I will ever get used to them. The fury can be beautiful, as long as the tornadoes stay far away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And so today and for the rest of the week our forecast is cold and rainy. Probably the last hurrah before our weather turns truly spring-like for good. We plan to cook and bake and have some indoor fun today. Hot tea and board games, new books and indoor hockey.
One last time.
:)
3 comments:
I love it!!! Ok, not the winds that could rip the roof off your house, but the rain and the cold and the rain! You are so lucky to still have little ones who come seeking your bed for comfort. Mine all stayed put. :(
What a cozy night!
We have "all seasons" laundry going on, too. Last week we had a 60 degree day, then a few days later it was, uh, 1. 1 degree.
I know what you mean about that crazy weather. My girls are getting used to jackets one day and flip flops the next. Weather was never this crazy for me in NJ!
Post a Comment