Normally, I don't mind shopping so much. It's usually my time away. Some of you might think that pathetic.
:)
DH lets me out for more than just grocery shopping, never fear. Yet it's nice that I'm guaranteed some alone time on the weekends to "re-stock" not only my own battery, but also the insides of the fridge and pantry. I think it may also help our budget out too.
This time, however, I had my two little appendages, Littles Love and Boo, to tag along with me. DH had taken the older three to First Friday mass, and it fell on me to get some much-needed supplies before breakfast in the morning.
Since I was also picking up some prescriptions, I had to go to the froofy-trendy store up the street. You know, the one where children are just in. the. way. and why in heaven's name would I ever dream of not only having so many children, but bringing them along with me to the store and inflict their presence on others?!?! Horrifying, truly.
And then I thought of Sarah Palin.
She proudly brings her children to work, on trips, to the RNC even. And, not only does she not have them assigned a nanny so she can wow the crowds, she brings them up onstage with her, has them surrounding her, lets them be. Wants them to be... with her.
I thought, I can do this.
And we skipped through the store as I held my head up and dared anyone who looked askance at our exhibition. (I call it my Sarahcuda look) We had a marvelous time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday, I was hosting book club at my home. My beautiful home that doesn't look quite as immaculate as when we first bought it from that lovely older couple whose kids had grown and moved out. My home with white ceramic tile and beige rugs, now decorated with paint splatters in the home school room ....
*sigh*
My home.
Still reeling from the first two weeks of home schooling, up to my eyeballs in egg roll grease, I surveyed my house in despair. All of this cleaning, some writing to do, a book to finish reading, the home school clipboards to complete, and a dessert to make?
How in heaven's name?
And then I thought of Sarah Palin. She works full time, cares for her precious Trig, runs meetings and a household. She does so with grace and style and love and a smile.
I thought, I can do this.
And we did. The kids helped, did some taste-testing and cleaning, got big smiles and rewards. I worked and bit my tongue and worked some more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What an inspiration is Sarah Palin, not just in the political arena, although she certainly can hold her own there. But also in the everyday. She is teaching us moms what is possible and what is do-able, if only we rely on God and trust in His grace. As long as we follow His will for our lives. We can give life to a beautiful boy with downs syndrome and run for vice-president of the United States. We can throw a dinner party and even go to the grocery store with two little monkeys in tow.
The grace and style?
I'm still working on that part.
:)
6 comments:
I try not to take all 5 of mine to the store - because they drive me crazy. But I go to the yuppie/dink store down the street, and the staff there are always so friendly to my kids - free cookies or fruit from the produce manager. Have you really gotten dirty looks with your lovely daughters with you?
M.E! Thanks for dropping by! Yes, the staff at TT is great. But the other shoppers? Hmmm. Not so much. I've gotten lots of raised eyebrows and even a few aside comments... usually not to me but to the companion of the person. ergh.
I usually have a few with me too when I shop, but I really don't enjoy taking all 5 ALONE. I was a victim of a wallet snatch in a lovely upscale mall (in a Gymboree store). Since then I just feel so worried about keeping my possessions (and children) safe and in sight.
I was looking at some photos of my house when we were looking at it. The sun room was so nicely decorated. The couple used to have dinner dates in that room. NOW, it is the place we house the very decorated (with paint/markers/glue) table, the old loveseat, the dog's bed, and his food. It isn't exactly beauty at its best, but I do have children and not a museum.
What an awesome post!!! Loved it!
Hi Nutmeg,
Sarah Palin does the same thing for me, an "I can do it because God has given it to me" attitude.
BTW, I think you DO do things with style, and no doubt grace, though God alone knows how much.
In admiration, Cathy
LOL! So true! We girls have been commiseratng about how Sarah makes us feel like slackers! She does inspire me, though! What an awesome lady!
Post a Comment