A month ago, DH
With a smirk on his handsome face.
During that first trial period, after paying the bills, and watching in horror as our available balance sank like the Titanic, DH would saunter up to me and ask smugly....
"So, do you think we could buy a new... rug/faucet set/pool/dishwasher/car?"
I would give him the look of death and hunch back over the keyboard, furiously crunching the numbers, to make sure we didn't go NSF on any of our payments. Every day as he left for work I would remind him....
"Remember, we have no money... 'K? None. NADA."
The amusement in his eyes was maddening.
You see, He has been playing the devil's advocate, to get back at me for the years of my money mis-management in which I had forced him to borrow from the proverbial Peter to pay Paul. Nothing serious like maxed out credit cards or collections calls, but more of just a real lack of awareness on my part as to how difficult it had been for him to balance everything out, paycheck to paycheck.
So, I bear him no ill will for this bit o' fun he is having with me as I come to the full realization of exactly how tight things are for the Nut House these days. It has been a good thing, after all, since we are now united in our efforts to save and cut back, instead of my DH being the bad guy all the time, in having to say no. Now we consult together, and plan our projects out in advance according to time and resources available.
But I am not above giving him a stern look and maybe even a quick swat if he dares to mention making a trip to L*wes or that other Orange Store without consulting The Royal Budget-meister first.
:)
2 comments:
If my husband weren't so afraid I would send us to the poorhouse, he would definitely give me the budget-meister job! He is always "green eye-shading" our money around for me - yikes!
I was in your husbands shoes not too long ago. Then he took over budgeting and our spending has really slowed. It's good for both parties to be aware of the money situation. It's a stressful job sometimes, though.
Post a Comment