
My Father always promised us
That we would live in France.
We'd go boating on the Seine,
And I would learn to dance.
-Judy Collins
My Dad turns 60 years young today. Spending time with him just a few short days ago, I'd say it wasn't possible. He was as funny and witty as ever, even more so now, I'd say. I am fortunate to be the oldest in my family, and so I have been present for more than half his life.
During my "weekend get-away" we spent a lot of time re-living our family history for the sake of my younger sisters who had always "heard of" some of these stories and people of days gone by, and wanted the whole scoop.
It was hilarious at times, and very therapeutic.
It also made me appreciate my parents, and all of the hard decisions they made. In short, they were the ones to step out in faith. They came back into full communion with the Church, followed a brief calling to the missions, steered me through a few dubious relationships, pulled me out of a dysfunctional college, and gave me the freedom to fully explore God's will for my life. Their pain and heartache at each of these junctions is obvious to me now that I am a parent. It is so difficult sometimes to see God's hand, and to know for certain what His will is in each circumstance. My parents seemed so confident in their parenting at the time... it is only now as they re-tell it, that I can appreciate the worry and concern involved.
And I am grateful. (In spite of all of my joking about being the "guinea pig" child... ) The path they chose was not easy for them. In deciding to trod this different way, they made it smooth for us, their children. We have no compromises to make in dealing with our parents or in-laws, no heart-wrenching crises of faith or thought.
We know, simply because they chose to know and passed that knowledge on to us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The quote from Judy Collins seems a bit worldly, doesn't it? I've never even been to France! However, I think the sentiment is accurate. My Father has always wanted his children to be safe, and happy. In that order. He gave us our faith. And that has ensured that we will always be in God's care which is the cause of our joy and happiness.
Love you, Dad. Happy Birthday.

:)
3 comments:
What a beautiful tribute, and happy birthday to your dear dad!
What a wonderful post. Sounds like you had a special upbringing by some very terrific parents. I always admire how fondly you talk of family. A blessing indeed!
Happy Birthday to your DAD!
What a great post! I love reading about dads. Mine just turned 60 this past October. I keep telling him I'm not old enough to have a parent that age, but it doesn't seem to matter. ;-)
Post a Comment