Sunday, May 20, 2007

When you meant to hit the "pause" button...

...but life seems to be moving in fast-forward.

(aka: enough of the pictures already!)


My little Love is currently the baby in the family. At the mature age of 2 and 1/2, she seems to have this concept down pat.

While she is supposed to be clinging to her Papa, refusing Mama's arms most emphatically, she instead wails at the sight of Papa in the morning, only to be appeased by the promise of being deposited in Mama's bed by Mama's side.

Bottles must be made and given only by Mama.

Diapers may only be changed by Mama.

Nighttime fears can be appeased by Mama alone.

So much for being fancy-free during this little break in births. Seems like the only cure for this is to give this child a younger sibling, eh? Well, God has not granted us that joy yet.

And while I would love to continue to add onto our little peanut gallery, I have to admit that I also have moments of panic, not quite ready to give up the size of my waist, chest, cheeks and ankles just yet. It may seem superficial, but my veins aren't what they used to be, and the thought of adding 60 lbs (yes ma'am, and y'all want pictures, don't you?) makes my feet coil in terror. Yet, as soon as the moment arrives, and that extra pink line refuses to appear, my breath lets out with a whoosh, and I am disappointed.

Inconstancy, thy name is Mama of 5.

So, while I continue to pray for God's will in our family, I will also continue to haul around our 30 lb "baby" and relish in the joy of watching her grow...

Because there is no slow-motion button.

If you find one, let me know.

:)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm still in denial that I'm going to get big, even though I already am beginning to do so. Flipping through web pages of maternity clothes showing women in their third trimester is enough to depress me for the rest of the day. I usually gain about 40 to 45, but I'm not really skinny to begin with. :-(

But God's plans are what they are. So, I'll deal with the weight gain and the new baby and you'll manage with the skinniness and an old baby. And we'll figure out God's plan later - like when we can ask Him.

nicole said...

I have the same feelings, although we are not actively seeking another child right now. I have moments of wanting a baby so much, but then, when the possiblity exists for even a day, I freak out. Still, I think the wanting side of me is getting stronger. Amazing how time works on us.

Anonymous said...

I think she needs a visit from her Auntie Mimi - to give Mama a break....

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I love your perspective of Little Love being "currently the baby in the family"--it's just beautiful.

As is this post.

No, there's no slo-mo. Here and now is what we've got. Let's make the very best of it. :)

nutmeg said...

Come on down, Aunt Mimi!

:)

Renee said...

My baby is 3 as of yesterday. And I have the same relief, then disappointment each time God says "no" to a new wee one. And I have seven children, and I am 40, and not quite back to my " normal " size, and yet, the inconstancy continues. Lovely post!

Mom of boys said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

I know exactly what you mean by the inconsistency. It seems each month I go through a cycle - I assure myself that we can afford a little break at the beginning, I waiver between uncertainty and sometimes a "what if" panic in the middle, and then I feel a little disappointed at the end. And I know from past experience that as time goes by, that end disappointment grows stronger.

Funny how God works on us throughout these up and down emotions! And His timing always ends up being perfect!