This post over at Waltzing Matilda's had me thinking.
Go, read it. I'll wait. And while you're there, notice her right-hand side bar with the different topics she has written about. Notice the word "crafts".
Now, type the word "craft" into the search window at the top of my blog.
I bet only this post comes up.
And so now you have realized my own dirty little secret.
My children are Mama-craft deprived. I can't say they are craft-deprived period. Just Mama-craft deprived.
I don't do crafts.
The main reason is because I never really think about it. I love to buy craft-y things for my kids to use on their own: paints, stickers, wood, glue, paper, markers, crayons, ribbons, etc. But as far as any adult-led crafting? Uh uh. That's not me.
Am I proud of this? No. Absolutely not. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it. I read everyone else's crafty creations and click on by, not daring to comment, to admit my own uncrafty nature.
Here's what I do love to do:
Painting
Drawing
Cooking
Baking
Listening to Music (all kinds)
Being Outdoors
Playing and Watching Sports
Exercising (with kids)
Taking Trips
I hope that's enough for my kids. I hope they see the value in those things, not the hole left by the lack of handmade what-nots around the house. I hope I can have the patience to impart these joys to them... especially the cooking and baking.
Mostly, I'm okay with my aversion to crafts. Much like my aversion to ironing,(scroll down to "I") I accept it and am only embarrassed when it is revealed in public.
Which is what this blog is about.
Me...
Warts and all.
:)
9 comments:
This is so me--I HATE crafts!
The kids know this well. Whenever the school sends home a "parent help required" project, they call grandma to come over right away. Thank goodness she covers me in this area, otherwise I'd be in trouble!
I sew, but don't consider that a craft, really. I don't even really enjoy painting or drawing either, so I'm even lower on the "art" scale than you! I thought I'd get the kids some paint-by-numbers to do after our museum trip on June 1st...and I think that's really generous (you know, even having paint allowed in the house with toddlers running around). I highly encourage drawing (with colored pencils and ink) in my children. I cringe at the mention of Playdoh. Glue, scissors? Nooooo.........
I like doing crafts, but not with my children ... that may be worse. The anal retentive me likes things done "MY WAY", and it is hard for me to let loose when doing crafts with the girls. I supply them with lots of creative things to do, but generally they are on their own ;)
Every family is different, and you are giving them so much more than you realize! Don't feel guilty.
I am not crafty either. I want to be crafty--but I don't have the patience to see a project through to the end. My kids will grow up and realize that was just not part of who I am. Hopefully they will appreciate the other things about me.
I also don't scrapbook, and sometimes feel bad that my kids won't have a scrapbook to look at like all of their friends, but again, I'm hopeful my kids will have other things to remember and appreciate about their mom.
I'm not crafty, either, Nutmeg. And not being crafty in this world of homeschooler blogs that do seasonal crafts, liturgical year crafts, saints day crafts, birthday crafts, nothing-special-today crafts...UGH! I feel unworthy! :) J/K But I'm just not creative, and I HATE mess, and crafts are messy. My kids are big time creative though, so I do try every once in a while. They mostly draw and create things out of cardboard boxes/paper/tape/scissors, which I can handle. But don't feel bad. We un-crafty moms make up for it in lots of other ways, I'm sure.
I'm probably a lifetime member of M.I.S.C.R.E.A.N.T.S. (Moms Incapable of Sewing, Crafts, Rug hooking, Embroidery, Art, Needlepoint, Tatting and Scrapbooking). The first step is admitting it; gradually you stop noticing the looks of pity or feeling shame when your attempt at any type of craft object ends up looking like a Vogon spaceship.
Don't worry, though. It's not necessarily genetic. One of my daughters sewed two cotton-stuffed felt hearts as a surprise for my husband's and my wedding anniversary last month, despite having no pattern, no instructions, and no experience sewing beyond those little lace-up kits. All she asked me to do was thread the needle and knot the end.
Sigh. It's a good thing she has crafty aunts who will teach her whatever she wants to learn!
RC, LOVE the acronym!
I think we need an official club here.
;)
Nutmeg, at least you have glue in your house! I just bought my first set of markers last week. (Not kidding!)
Kristen, I hope they were the "Washable" kind!!
:)
Post a Comment