Well, Turkey Weekend had a few false-starts on Wednesday:
1. 4 hours before my family was due to come in, I decided that the "easy off" treatment I had given the oven the night before, wasn't going to cut it. So I turned on the "self-clean" feature. Half an hour later, I turned it off and opened all the windows, and blasted all the fans due to the sudden appearance of smoky haze in the livingroom, and the distinct smell of burning (left-over) "easy off."
2. On the phone with my mom, 2 hours before their arrival, she sensed the panic in my voice as I tried (in vain) to unlock the oven door. Turns out, it won't unlock until the temp goes down. Good thing she asked me what was wrong, or I would have wrenched the lock off by sheer force! All I could think was, "How am I going to cook Thanksgiving dinner if my oven is locked?!?"
3. 1 hour before arrival, I hear screams from the backyard and the sound of water gushing from somewhere. I run out to see my darling DS #1 trying to turn off the hose (which has the power sprayer attachment on full blast, BTW) the wrong way, spraying mud everywhere in the process. By the time I was able to get the dang thing turned off, he and I and one entire front corner of the house was covered in mud.
Luckily, these mis-haps were isolated to pre-guests and none reared their ugly heads while guests were actually present.
It was lovely to have family in town. Thanksgiving dinner was again co-ordinated most perfectly by my Mom. I am getting spoiled here, I realized this year. Not only do I get to have dinner at my own home, I have someone else to worry about it all! :) It's wonderful to have two people double-checking the finer details. I was constantly worrying that I forgot something.
We had our post-Thanksgiving soccer game on Friday morning. I love playing sports with my family. It's just the right mix of competitiveness and fun. All I know is that if my sister comes to UD for college, I want her on my soccer team. (as well as the collegiate team....she can do both, right? I mean, she's young!) It was great to be able to pass through traffic and have her right there, and vice-versus. Very fun.
A big thank you to my folks for making the trip. It's a tough one to make.
But don't remind me of that when we go to do it in a month. 12 hours....piece of cake, right?
;)
3 comments:
Why did you clean the oven before you cooked the turkey? My birds always splatter so the oven needs to be cleaned afterwards.
I was afraid that the oven would smell like burnt lasagna/pie/chicken drippings.... instead of turkey!
And I usually cover my turkey in the roaster, so no drippings.
I had spillage from a dutch apple pie warmed in the oven after dinner. The next day, I turned the oven on high (over 400) without realizing there was a spill and had black smoke filling my house. Pretty normal for around here.
Post a Comment