Thursday, November 16, 2006

Channeling

I was in mass a few weeks ago, feeling my extreme littleness and inadequacies in dealing with my brood of peanuts. I was lamenting my many outbursts of Irish temper, my eyes that can dart such hurtful arrows into their little souls, my impatience, and my selfishness. I felt that, given the cracks in my own vessel, how in the world would these babies entrusted to my care make it to heaven if I could not show them the way....

My own example was so severely lacking.

Needless to say, it had not been a good week.

And then, I thought, well, I don't have to make it to heaven, just as long as they do.

And I pictured myself as a hollow tube, (not hard to do at this point) a channel, through which the graces flowing to me could instead be directed towards my children.

Anything and everything, I vowed.

None for me, all for them.

What relief flowed through me at that point as I realized that this is exactly my vocation. And, joy of joys, His grace is for me as well.

"My grace will be sufficient for you."

7 comments:

Erin said...

That's so beautiful, Meg

Anonymous said...

I think you must be in my brain not just on my computer. Thanks so much!

Amber said...

Amen.
And amen and amen.

Miss Peg said...

Very well said!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's a really god insight, Meg. And may I add that you've earned your ticket to heaven as mom and dad did the same for us. I read your post from a long time ago about Gorham when you'd come home from school and play with me and keep me "occupied". Things like that have secured your place! I'm sure that the kids are being well-formed!

nutmeg said...

All of your comments mean a lot to me, but the sibling ones touch my heart especially....

Thanks, guys!

Suzanne Temple said...

Very good.