Life in a Nutshell
This is what DH (dear husband) calls the boys' summer camp, actually entitled "Camp Jesus". The little darlings get to spend every day for a week racing go-carts, swimming, wrestling, learning about Jesus, and shooting BB guns. Just what my little action heroes have always dreamed of, and just what every mom would love for their boys to do...as long as they don't have to watch!
Yesterday was Day #1, and DS (dear son) #2 had a bit of a meltdown, clinging to my legs, bawling, and screaming to be taken home with me. So, what to do? I stayed with him in the gymnasium while the kids had a Jesus pep rally, and then he decided he would try the BB guns, then come home. I told him to try it, and then his counselors could call me if they needed to. I didn't hear a peep all day. And like a good Mom, confident in her wisdom and discernment, I spent all day biting my nails, praying that I haven't done any psychological damage, and arrived to pick them up... 30 min early!! So the girls and I had a snow cone and hung out chatting with the husband and wife team in charge. When DS came into view to go to the ending pep rally session, he walked by, gave me a wave, and went in with his group.
On the way home, the boys kept interrupting each other, telling me about their day......
"Mom, guess what, I beat SAM at wrestling, can you believe it?"
"Mom, Mom, I almost got a bullseye at the BB guns!"
"Mom, Silly (a counselor) ate my corn nuts...he was hungry!"
"Mom, King Andrew (another counselor) and I went sooo fast on the go-carts!--
Yeah, we beat the girls most of the time..."
"The bible verse was something about a trip..."
(and since it's written their shirts, I'm able to help on this one)
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
"Yeah, yeah that's it!--- Did I tell you I almost got a BULLSEYE???"
And so Day #2 started today. Once again the girls and I hung out in the gym and listened to their Jesus rally. DS#2 did great, and went off to do wrestling quite happily. Silly was packed his very own bag of corn nuts in DS#1's lunch bag, and I look forward to hearing about all they got to do today.
2 comments:
Mmmmmm, corn nuts...that's the best part about being the babysitter: "Oh, you won't finish your hotdog/corn chips/chocolate cake? Give it here! NOW!" :)
Yeah, one of those underestimated perks of having young children...I can guiltlessly pack away all the leftover mac-n-cheese, hot dogs, and brownies!
Post a Comment