Sunday, March 27, 2011

Noah These Days

Yes, I am still plowing through this series.  It has taken me quite a bit longer than I had hoped.  By the time I'm finished, I'll have to start all over again, since Little Dude will surely be walking or heading off to college.

:P

Noah is our Sports Fan.  He has always been drawn to sports, particularly sports heroes.  He was the first to be attracted to super heroes as well. His first super hero-love was Buzz Lightyear.  We joke that one time during mass, DH picked up our two year old mop of blonde curls and he raised one arm over his head and lifted one knee in perfect Buzz imitation.  Made me giggle uncontrollably. How cute that he thought his Papa could lift him to "infinity and beyond."














Noah is at a tough spot right now, I won't deny that.  At the age of 11, he is on the cusp of those teen years.  He's caught dead in the middle between still wanting me to snug with him, and then holding me at arm's length, his blue eyes sharp and unyielding. He nurses a constant chip on his shoulder, sarcasm being his defense mechanism.  It's difficult sometimes to peel back the layer that he has built up, to penetrate the wall.  Lately, DH and I have made the extra effort to "collect" this child.  And our diligence is paying off.  He is eager to remain in the fold of our family, but constantly tests our hearts. And that's not a bad thing, either. It reminds me of my priorities as a mom.  That I cannot push my children to the side, no matter what deadline or last-minute interruption has sprung up.  This young man keeps me in check. Although I still have a lot to learn.
















Noah plays soccer in our city league.  He's on a team of mostly new kids.  He is also one of 3 non-Spanish speaking kids.  I watched him during his first practice, his arms folded, only half-kicking the ball, eyes bored.  His coach was yelling instructions in Spanish, and Noah turned away, frustrated. I watched the coach. He's an outstanding coach.  After practice, Noah and I had a chat.  He wasn't quitting. (but, oh! How easy my schedule would be if he did! :P) He was going to milk this for all he could.  This coach knows what he's doing, I told him. If he could stick it out, and go 110% at every practice, his game would skyrocket, I could guarantee it. Noah's eyes lit up.  He has been giving it his best shot, and yesterday at his game, I saw him deek around the other team's forwards, jumping over cleats and sending the ball to his own front line.  A little rough aorund the edges, but it's there, I thought.  Good.

He is the older brother I go to when I need help with Little Dude.  Noah is a natural when it comes to caring and nurturing the others.  He sees with a provider's eye, and steps in when I need him to.  Of course, he's not always as gracious as I'd like him to be... we're working on that.  Mostly, though he sees the need and delivers.

I am proud of this young man.  He has grown so much.














If I can only keep him close while encouraging him to explore new horizons.


:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great/insightful post...maybe he and Bethie could team up and learn some basic Spanish....at least they can plan a strategy together to weather this "language challenge"!! Isn't it ironic how the tables have turned with our youngsters....now they are the ones who are "language challenged"...who would have 'thunk it"!!?

Sephora said...

He is growing up so fast! I can't believe how old he looks in that final picture. Such an energetic guy.