Friday, March 11, 2011

Daybook: Updating

I'm not going to apologize for the silence. I've learned in the past that silence can be golden. Especially internet silence.  Especially when you can revisit your original reasons for blogging and re-prioritize a bit. But most especially for a reason like this one:


















Little Dude has been keeping me busy, of course.  But more on him throughout the course of this Daybook.....


Outside my window~
Sun.  Blue skies and sun.  We went to the park today, and I got 2 hours of in-your-face sun time.  It felt glorious, and even Little Dude's cheeks are a tad bit pink.

I am listening to~
My girls play nintendo and my boys play poker with a friend.  The hours of outside fun this morning has made them content to sit and relax this afternoon.  It's Spring Break. We all feel content.

I am wearing~
My comfy (and very well-loved) jeans, t-shirt and crocs.  Hair in a messy bun.  I've promised myself that I will actually style my hair tomorrow.  I think.  :P

I am so grateful for~
Friends who organize park outings.  I never would have gone, never would have organized it... just would have feebly attempted laundry or writing while refereeing fights and putting off endless requests for playdates.  It was a lovely, refreshing change.

I'm pondering~
Schedules.  More on that in a bit.

I'm reading~
The Roots of Obama's Rage by Dinesh D'Souza.  My pick for bookclub next week.Very interesting.

I am thinking~
That Little Dude needs to get in some semblance of a groove any day now.  He is the king of the castle, and I never can plan anything!  Lol.


I am creating~
A new Nut House normal.  Our sports schedule this season requires that we be away from home at dinnertime 4 out of the 5 weeknights. So, we'll be eating dinner at 4:30 on those nights.  DH and I have it coordinated so we know who needs to be where, and when.  On the nights he works late, I'll be flying solo, but it's doable.  Texting one evening with a long-distance kindred spirit while waiting at Sports Fan's practice, I decided.... no complaining.  We chose this. 3 kids on 4 teams. 2 girls in dance. It's crazy, but we homeschool after all.  We are together all day, every day.  We can eat earlier.  We can regroup after practice and showers and pray the rosary.  If there is any time in our lives this can work, it's now.

On my iPod~
Nothing new, except maybe more old radio shows for Action Man.  Tales of the Texas Rangers, anyone?

Towards a real education~
Oh dear. 'Tis that discerning time of year again.  We've always said that we take homeschooling one year at s time.  We mean that literally.  Oy, this time of year is always hard.  :)

Towards rhythm and beauty~
Trying out the new schedule this week.  Still recuperating from my solo weekend... still grateful for energetic sisters who swoop in and whisk children off to games in the freezing windy conditions.  Still trying to re-vamp chore charts....  Still a work in progress.

To live the liturgy~
Lent snuck up on me this year, I admit.  I found our good deeds jar, got some dried beans, chatted with the kids about our sacrifices and hauled them off to mass on Wednesday.  But more needs to be done.  The boys had a friend over yesterday who told them that he was giving up TV for Lent.  The boys' jaw hit the floor as Action Man said, "Dude, that's hard!"  And the friend looked at them and said, "Yeah.  Isn't that the point?"

I am hoping and praying~
For our schooling decisions, and for many many other intentions that have come to my attention this week.  So much heartbreak and sadness out there.  Keeps my worries in perspective.

In the garden~
Tomato plants go in this weekend.  My red pansies out front look glorious... and looks like spring is here for good!

Around the house~
Chaos.  We emptied out the girls' rooms thinking that we would be hosting our friends from Wisconsin for the week.  They got the flu, however, and turned around before they even got to us.  Very sad. And the toys are everywhere.  This weekend will necessitate a huge clean up.

From the kitchen~
Lenten meals, coupled with soccer practice means quesadillas on the go.  :P  The kids have homeschool gym class at a park this afternoon, minutes away from Sports Fan's practice. So tempting to pack a picnic and stay... we'll see.

One of my favorite things~
Little Dude's ears.


















:P

4 comments:

Emily said...

1) Yay you're back! :)
2) Little Dude is adorable!
3) Love the new blog look
4) Your son's friend cracks me up. I can totally see him saying "Isn't that the point?" with eyebrows raised.

Anonymous said...

He's so cute...those eyes are captivating1! Sounds like a busy household...picnic in the park will be fun...hope it can happen ...prayers for you all...

Aimee said...

Oh that first picture!! Delicious! That's the kind of photo that mamas never get tired of looking at. :)

nicole said...

Adorable! You should be soaking up as much of him as you can. We are also on the sports crazy train, only my kids go to public school too. Eating dinner at 4:30 works, but we are inevitably hungry when we get home. I am also trying not to complain about it. We say no to so many things because of the size of our family and our financial obligations, but we make sure they can do sports. It is fun to watch them and we all go to a practice whenever we can, even when it would be easier for some of us to stay home. Together time is together time, wherever we can have it.