Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lights, Camera.... *fizzle*

When I was in High School, I was in an acting troupe.  Our "Youth Group" would travel around upstate NY and put on plays for other youth groups.  My first play was a bit of a disaster.... there were no tryouts, and I was cast in some measly role that just did NOT display my awesome talent. Or, so I thought at the oh-so-experienced age of 13.

;P

At my high school, I acted in the musicals, and my junior year was given one of the lead! roles!  So very exciting.  I was the Queen in Roger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella.  

My time in the limelight was short-lived, however, as I attended a college that did not, as yet, have an acting troupe.  (They do now, of course...)

Enter life-after college.  After exhausting all of my resources trying to look for a job in Canada... yeah, they didn't take too kindly to the illegal-immigrant status I was sporting.... I signed up with a talent agency and did one. little. nothing. photo shoot for a bank.  Yay.  I spent the next year tutoring ESL and making good money.  So much for life in the fast lane.

And then.  When Little Love turned 5 last year, I realized that, perhaps, I could try it once more.  Figuring that I had learned a few things about the lingo of the business, I responded to a few innocuous craigslist ads, and found myself with a couple of appointments.  After chatting on the phone and threatening to walk out of the shoot if it was anything other than what I was hearing... (I am so compliant that way) I showed up to the first studio with Lil Sis in tow. (She's an awesome bodyguard)  I met the director, did some yoga poses, got paid, and left.  Easy Peasy.

Since that first foray, I've done a hair spot and an evening of "extra" work on the new cable show "The Good Guys" starring Colin Hanks.  (Yes, I saw him... no, I didn't talk to him... although it was totally cool to watch a take of a shooting car chase being filmed in downtown Dallas!)  My part?  I walked past a store.  Tons of talent needed there, let me tell you.

:P

And then.  I found out I was pregnant.  Nausea and fatigue are simply not conducive to happy-smiley camera work.  Lol.  And so, my amazing career as a part-time "extra" for commercials or print or any acting whatsoever is on hold. Indefinitely. 

Here's how it ended:

(phone ringing) The Call: Meegan? (yes, that's how they pronounced my name) This is Louie. (I kid you not!  Isn't that hilarious???) How are you looking for a commercial audition this weekend?

Me: (thoroughly snickering) Well, I'm looking about 6 months pregnant.

*crickets*

Me: Yeah.  Maybe get back to me in about a year.

Louie:  Oh, right!  Hey, congratulations!


I can hear the delete button being pushed on my profile....

And you know what?  I am totally ok with that.  Totally.

:)

2 comments:

momto5minnies said...

That was completely surprising and quite funny. I needed a little night, night chuckle.
You are so totally a superstar ... Pregnant or not;)

Sephora said...

They must want a pretty pregnant lady for SOME commercial!
Also... I'm a little shocked they didn't offer Lil' Sis a job when she accompanied you. You two must have been quite the pair of lovely ladies strolling in there.